Jhamelton

New to the cutting world. Vectorizing help needed

Hey all. Just decided to get into the cutting world mostly for personal use and to do a few things for friends and family. I have vinylmaster cut and am having a tough time vectorizing the attached logo for my baseball team. I've worked on it off and on for about a week and am getting nowhere. When I trace it, it loses some detail no matter how many colors I try (no eyes on the hawks, letters only partially traced, etc) all the videos I have found haven't helped. Any other ideas? 

IMG_5303.JPG

Fonts never trace well, you're better off finding the font and recreating it. The baseball bat wouldn't be too hard to recreate either. The hawks is the challenge. If you could find a larger image to start with that will help. The hawks are mirror images of each other, so just focus on getting one right then just copy and flip it. The shapes to the hawk are rather simple and you might do well manually tracing.

To manually trace, import the raster image and then with the beizler tool do ruff trace by putting nodes at the sharp corners and complete the shape. Then set the transparency of the new object to 50% or so and start adding additional nodes and editing the lines to match up with the raster image. Takes some practice but it's a very handy skill to have.

• Like 1

Amazing advice. I'm really liking this forum. You all provide a ton of help. Hopefully one day I'll be able to rattle off all that stuff you just told me :-) Right now I'm starting to think I will never understand this stuff and I wasted my money LOL.  I will give it a shot. On a sidenote, what is a good way to match fonts? Besides looking through every font, is there anyway to match up a font? 

2 minutes ago, Jhamelton said:

Amazing advice. I'm really liking this forum. You all provide a ton of help. Hopefully one day I'll be able to rattle off all that stuff you just told me :-) Right now I'm starting to think I will never understand this stuff and I wasted my money LOL.  I will give it a shot. On a sidenote, what is a good way to match fonts? Besides looking through every font, is there anyway to match up a font? 

There are a few font matching free web pages and if you get real serious there is some even better software you can buy. If all else fails you can post an image here asking for help. Someone can usually identify it pretty quickly.

http://www.whatfontis.com/

http://www.myfonts.com/WhatTheFont/