JVDW

Best budget cutter for detail work

Hi everyone, I'm new to the whole vinyl cutter industry, and was wondering if someone could answer a few of my questions. I want to create custom decals for people's vehicles, and the shapes I'm making can have sharp angles and small detail. I want them as exact as possible, but also don't want to spend a ton of money on a complex piece of equipment when I'm just starting out. 

I want to stay under a Titan or Titan 2 tops, preferably an SC Series if possible. If I attach a file or two, would someone with some of those printers be able to tell me if my designs are possible? Does the type of knife or program make a big difference and which ones would I need for mine? Any guidance would be greatly appreciated, and I would be happy to compensate someone for printing out an example design from their cutter. 

Post a design and we can evaluate it. (No copyright protected work please) SC is probably the best on your budget but budget cutters and detailed work are not synonymous. Like clean dirt. Budget cutters struggle with tiny details and long runs. Middle sized projects they get by fairly amazing for what they cost. 

• Like 1

I honestly have not had problems with fairly fine detail using the MH machine.

Certainly, the LPII 34" is a better overall model, and costs about $600 including vinyl and app tape.

By the way JVDW --  "compensate someone for printing slicing out an example design from their cutter." (get rid of the word printing from your vocabulary, since there is no printing involved here. It's a critical distinction, because there ARE printers in our industry, and when we want to refer to them specifically, we use that term.)

Thanks for the replies, Wildgoose and slice&dice. Also for the distinction between printing & cutting; my mistake.

I attached a file (my design, no copyright). I am completely open to changing the design, making widths wider if there's a minimum distance there should be between cuts, and simplifying it, just want to understand the limitations to a machine and what is/isn't possible. Ideally, the dimensions on the attached decal would be approx. 10"x10", but I am also interested in scaling it down to 5"x5" (which would probably mean a lot more simplifying).

Thanks again!

Bambi_Vector_PRINT.eps

The blade you select and quality of vinyl is more of a factor than the machine but an MH or SC could cut the Graphic.

The text that would be a pain on any machine, all will cut it but you may not be able to weed it I don't cut any text smaller than 1/4" .

That's pretty small. Buster is exactly right, the trophy get will be hard to weed. Those tiny elements inside the horns and the skull will also be either chewed up or thought to get out of there.  If you only have one to do you could cut a few and have some extra parts to replace letters if you pull them up accidentally. There are some stray nodes/lines in the skull. Like half a dozen or more. Look through your layers stack and select them from there and they will highlight within the skull and you will see where they are and that they don't belong. There were like 4 all on top of each other in the same place and a few others scattered around.