Sign in to follow this  
NJ Rich

Hello, new with questions

Hello,

I'm still very early in the process of trying to figure out what equipment and software I need.  I came across this forum and it seems like a great place to start.  OK, This is what I am trying to accomplish.  I've made some cornhole (bag toss) games for some friends and have just been painting them with generic shapes and stripes using tape.  I've been thinking about starting a little business for myself with these games and other items I can make.  I'm sure some of you are familiar with these boards and have seen them with vinyl graphics applied.  I would love to do the same but have zero knowledge in this area.  From what I have read, vinyl graphics do not stick well to wood (although there is no shortage of youtube videos of people doing it).  Is there a way to apply these graphics so they will last and be durable?  I was also thinking that I could make stencils and paint the graphics instead of using vinyl or a combo of both.  I'd like to do sports & college teams because they are popular as well as Fire Dept patches on these game boards as I am a Firefighter and do not see a lot of these designs.  I will spend some time searching the forum for answers and probably have more questions but if anyone can help point me in the right direction to get started I would very much appreciate it.  Thanks in advance for any replies, Rich

First off, welcome to the forum!

So in answer to your first question about vinyl sticking to wood: yes it will stick to wood but it has to be prepped right.  Perferably primed and painted with a good hard paint, let dry for a minimum 0f 24-48 hrs before you apply any vinyl.  basically the smoother the surface is, the better luck you will have.  As far as durability is concerned it depends not only on the surface preparation but also the quality of the vinyl used.  If you use good quality vinyl and have a good smooth painted surface the vinyl will last for years.

As to using sports teams logos and college teams logos, you have to obtain permission from each team/university to use their graphics and if you're selling these for a profit you will have to adhere to strict logo guidelines as well as most likely pay royalties.

Since your not sure if you want to make this a business or not, I would recommend going to your local sign shop and ask them to make the decals for you, rather than you putting out the capial for the equipment without knowing how it will go.  You can easily design vector art in something like Inkscape, then take your files to your local sign shop and have them cut, weed and mask them for you.

Of course many of us on here would be happy to make them for you as well if you wish.

Good Luck!

• Like 3

On 10/12/2016 at 5:14 PM, FrznFire07 said:

First off, welcome to the forum!

So in answer to your first question about vinyl sticking to wood: yes it will stick to wood but it has to be prepped right.  Perferably primed and painted with a good hard paint, let dry for a minimum 0f 24-48 hrs before you apply any vinyl.  basically the smoother the surface is, the better luck you will have.  As far as durability is concerned it depends not only on the surface preparation but also the quality of the vinyl used.  If you use good quality vinyl and have a good smooth painted surface the vinyl will last for years.

As to using sports teams logos and college teams logos, you have to obtain permission from each team/university to use their graphics and if you're selling these for a profit you will have to adhere to strict logo guidelines as well as most likely pay royalties.

Since your not sure if you want to make this a business or not, I would recommend going to your local sign shop and ask them to make the decals for you, rather than you putting out the capial for the equipment without knowing how it will go.  You can easily design vector art in something like Inkscape, then take your files to your local sign shop and have them cut, weed and mask them for you.

Of course many of us on here would be happy to make them for you as well if you wish.

Good Luck!

Very good answer and similar to what I would have mentioned.   You've really got to watch the copyright laws when copying logos and it's not just sports teams it's any copyrighted logo symbol or taglines.

Welcome to the forum.

• Like 2

Thanks for the replies & the welcome,   I wasn't thinking about copyright licensing and it's good point.  I'll keep those for my friends and family.  Plenty of other avenues to explore.  I think I need to learn how to vectorize to get started.  Thanks again!

Inkscape is a free vector program that is a good way to get your feet wet without a monetary commitment. There are lots of tutorials in the help menu and online. Welcome to the forum and good luck with your endeavor. 

• Like 1

Here is my suggestion -- download and install SignBlazer Elements, and go to the DRAW menu / Library. This will allow you to immediately get a feel for the types of graphics that cutters handle really well.

http://www113.zippyshare.com/d/n1VhEbQn/329121/signblazer_setup.exe

As for starting with a machine, you probably can expect to pony up about $600 and get the SC with some vinyl and app tape.

Have fun.

• Like 1