RoyBoom

Scrambled letters

I'm in a school environment working with teens and trying to get them started in some graphic arts projects.  I've got a Laserpoint 24, and I'm using Signblazer 6.0.21.  We were trying to do some quotes for them to put on their walls.  We set up our words in Freehand, saved them as an eps.  When imported into Signblazer it looked right, but then when I click the cut button and it goes to the cutter screen the letter get all scrambled up, and it cuts them this way.  I've got 2 laptops, both with the same software.  One of them scrambles, one of them comes out fine.  What would be making it do this?  I've had my cutter for about 6 years but really haven't used it very much.  This is the first time I've taken it to school and tried to use it with the kids so it's a learning experience for me all the way around.

21 hours ago, signyouup said:

Do you have the same fonts installed on both computers?

Wouldn't make any difference with an eps file

30 minutes ago, mb20music said:

Wouldn't make any difference with an eps file

actually it will unless it has the fonts changed to outlines before exporting

In the Signblazer cut screen, do you have "fit to origin" checked?? And nothing checked in the space saver screen??

Ok, you've given me a few things to check on.  Is there anything that's simpler than Signblazer to use (and cheap)?  I'd like to cut right from Freehand, but I don't suppose that's going to work.

Have you tried out Inkscape? Can't cut from there but you could do similar to what you are already doing and it would give you another option to see if it exports properly. 

Why don't you create the text in SignBlazer? No export/import required and you can edit them any time you want. Why do the extra steps of creating them in a different software?

Maybe I just haven't used Signblazer enough, I just don't feel like I have any control over type like kerning and line spacing.  But I'm really not wild about type control in Freehand and Illustrator either.