Sign in to follow this  
Richard334

Printing Cost & markers for mugs

A couple of questions:

How much do you estimate the cost of the sublimation ink is for a typical 11 ounce mug?

Also, I wanted to write something by hand on the bottom of the mug. Any suggestions as to what kind of marker will do that?

if using sawgrass probably $.50 or so per print with paper - cobra is probably 1/2 that but ink cost is so minimal

conde told me to estimate 1 dollar for ink and paper on an 8 1/2 by 11 sheet.  Not sure if its accurate or not but I have been going with that.

it goes a long ways- one estimate I read is the ricoh gel inks goes about 3 times as far as the epson inks.   just factor it in and charge appropriate to make a profit and replace equipment as necessary 

The only bonus with Epson inks and using Epsons printers is they are cheap een if you have to recycle or throw out a clogged epson its only like 200.00 by then you should have made enough to by another one. 

Any suggestions on how to unclog an epson?   Was getting just black then managed to get yellow then red.  Multiple head cleans and nozzle checks but blue won't cooperate.  Already tossed a smaller cheaper printer. Can't afford to do that again with this one.

Thank you in advance

Once they really clog it's tough to get them clean. The orfices are about like the size of a human hair or smaller. There are videos on how to go in and use a syringe to push cleaning solution through the head. I tried it and still didn't succeed with one printer but then about a month later it all of a sudden cleaned out. Best cure is prevention by printing daily and watching the nozzles and cleaning them immediately if they get clogged. That's the biggest downfall to the epson route. That and the fact that the builtin computer will eventually reach its cleaning limit and shut you down. You really do have to look at them sort of as disposable units. I bought carts the last time so I can just hop printers and take my bulk ink with me. Pigment and Dye Sub ink are both suspended particle inks that have more tendency to clog up. 

I have an WF1100 that hasn't been used in a year. I'm sure it's toast. I tried the syringe cleaning and still couldn't get it to clean completely.

Thank you for the info. Yes I will cross my fingers and keep trying I work about 60 hours a week and this is just something part-time so I am going to have to be smarter and print something each day just to be doing it

The very first shirt job I did with my 7620 paid for it and I used it for about another year before getting lazy and missing the fact that it had quit printing test pages for a couple weeks so I figure to was worth it.