Sign in to follow this  
Cal

A day in the park

Spent a couple days last week cleaning up and detailing my Duster.  After 5 years on the road and several road trips it don't show like it used to.

I still do a couple shows each year to support good causes and visit with old friends and make new one's in the old car community.

Yesterday was a show in the pecan orchard at the local park in support of our local volunteer fire department.  It was a "relatively" cooler (upper 80's) day, sunny with a light breeze.  Pretty comfortable in the shade of those big trees.  A bad place to be if a rain or windstorm blows up - you would have seen 100 cars scrambling for open ground - but yesterday was mild and beautiful.  There was probably 100 cars in attendance, with the vast majority spotless specimens from years past.  Some few newer models; and a few, like mine, showing a little wear on the edges - paint chips here & there, stone chip in the windshield and a little staining on the intake manifold...

Trophy time came and the top 20 came and went, chief's pick, mayor's pick... and then - by unanimous vote... kids choice - Cal Hyer's '72 Plymouth Duster!!!

I was very pleasantly surprised!  But in retrospect, kids always seem drawn to it at all the shows I have attended.  And my wife said, the kids do not go in with the preconceived notion that it has to be a Mustang, or Chevelle, or big block - they are just drawn to it because it is so bright and bold looking.  It is bright - rustoleum gloss white and gloss black topped off with a clear coat...

To make it somewhat vinyl related, I purchased the stripes (before I got into vinyl) from an ebay store.  I will guess that they are Oracal 651 or equivalent.  I know we did a wet install and did some serious lifting and repositioning them.  We installed after the paint was applied and then cleared over the whole shebang.

With my neighbors, I am on the right,  and then a couple three pics from my travels.  Last year I drove from Georgia to Toronto!

Cal

IMG_2385.JPG

0712141426.jpg

CNY Trip 2014-4 033.jpg

IMG_0441.jpg

• Like 2

Nice car! My best friend from high school has a 71 RT Challenger. He has not gotten around to restoring it and it's been in a storage unit since about 1986. One of these days he plans to work it over. I think he's waiting to pay off his house. Ha! I always had 4x4's and most of my buddies were motor heads. Since those days I have always had an affinity for Mopar. 

Slice, the placement of that decal is on the tailpanel.

Cal

IMG_1629.JPG

• Like 1