Richard334

Yellow bands on outside of mugs

I did my first mug (oven with wrap) and there is a very light yellow band at the top and bottom of the mug which I'm sure is where the sublimation paper  did not cover the surface. 

I followed the vendor recommendation to quench the mug in room temperature water. 

What's the best solution? Wider strip of sublimation paper? Or, do you think it stayed in the oven too long? 

couple of things  - if it was a cactus brand wrap it shouldn't be a problem if properly tensioned.  with some of the cheaper wraps they don't have the outter layer that limits stretching and have heard of gasses escaping.  the larger paper may help - also too long of a time will also allow a halo effect some times.

part 2 - which vendor still recommends quenching in water - this produces tiny cracks in the glazing called crazing - at least 3 years ago conde and coastal started recommending air drying after quickly removing the mug from the wrap or press - I use a fan.  about 3 years ago conde was demonstrating with black shoe polish the crazing on the mugs after water quenching and told every one to stop

The water cool was off the Coastal web site. Got the mugs from them. I had read about not using water, but decided to do it on the first piece. Will air cool from now on. 

It looked like the yellow ( which was very light) extended to the inside -- I gave the first mug away, so I'll run another piece at a shorter time. Also I'll check the oven temperature. 

Using a thermocouple, the oven seemed to be running about 25° high.

So I ran it at 375 setting, and extended the  sublimation paper to the edge.  The Result looks great. 

• Like 2