castironrobbie

Vehicle Lettering

Since buying my first plotter I have come a long way. If you look back at my first few posts on here many laughs can be had at trying to figure it out. Since I have done pretty well and made some pretty cool decals for weddings, yard signs, now apparel, but want to try to get into vehicle lettering. Do you have any advice for getting started? It doesn't seem like practicing on a customers vehicle is a very good idea, so I am wondering where you got your start, and how to practice installs.

Find a contractor with some scrap aluminum flashing. The kind that is painted white on one side. I had a buddy that a some so I used a couple pieces to install on. Then I used the window on my S-10, and the rest has been all on customer vehicles.

Watch some you tube videos to learn the fine points

• Like 1

I did several friends/relatives vehicles and a trailer for free. They were understanding and nonjudgemental when I made a mistake and had to do parts over or had more bubbles than expected. These were close enough to me that I would not have charged them anyway. You may not have someone in that position but you might find your favorite coffee shop or something and do a promo for them on the owners car to something. I just told them I got a new cutter and needed the practice.