andygeekboy

Used HIX 400

Just pick a used (very) one up from craigslist.

This thing is old analog timer etc.

The pad has a few scars and looks well worn, are these easy to replace and is it worth the effort?

Thanks

Thanks, this poor girl looks like she's been ridden hard and put away wet!

Are there any issues pressing with a damaged pad?

depends on how bad the rubber is on the bottom - the heated platen part needs to be clean but those are seldom padded (I've seen one and we removed it)

old doesn't mean bad - I owned a couple of the very early knight presses and they worked as good as any other one I have owned other than the timers and an egg timer took care of that

Yeah, what dakota said, but we had to upgrade to a mor more modern unit for a little more precise temperature for pressing Spangles

old isn't bad but the knights and hotronix have heating coils all thru the platen inches apart - you can see that one has a coil like an old oven and relys on the aluminum to even the heat out - it should still work though

That's what ours looks like, only that one has been painted, ours is blue, looks like your missing top piece of the platen, my serial number is in the 2000's tho. I'll post a picture of her tomorrow. Ours is blue. But if she heats up it will give you some good service I'm sure.

• Like 1

After looking at it, you should see if you can get the cover for the top platen(on the outside) there should be insulation and a cover on the top of it. 

Here you go, the black cover should be over the Aluminum heating element, with insulation in between. after looking at your there are no screw holes for a cover, must have been the way they were produced, yours must be older than my unit. When I call for parts for mine they don't even have the serial number on record, but still manage to have parts for it,

IMG_0241.JPG

IMG_0239.JPG

IMG_0240.JPG

IMG_0243.JPG

• Like 1

No problem, good luck with it! pm me your email address, I have a manual that may be useful to you if you'd like it.

• Like 1