andygeekboy

MH Series to CE6000-60 Overkill for a hobby?

So I bought a MH871 a couple of weeks back, I've been having great fun with cutting decals etc, I even bought a cheapo heat press and have made a couple of tshirts.

Seeing a digital design become something real and tangible is very cool.

Anyway, as you guys already know and I'm finding out, the MH is pretty much the bottom of the barrel and the more I'm spending time with the MH the more I'm seeing it's limitations.

So I've been looking at the Graphtec as I think it fits the bill, my question is "is $2K on a new plotter that'll only ever be used as a hobby machine and not a money making venture overkill?"

Now I do understand that this question is 100% subjective as that much money means different things to different people, I'm just after everyone's thoughts if they wanted to chime in.

Thanks again for everyones advice!

I have an MH, SC and a few Titans - For T-Shirts and window / wall decals all will perform well properly adjusted and using quality materials.

If the MH & SC were not so loud I would still be using them they are built like tanks. I use the Titans because they are much quieter, so if you are not in this to make a living then what you have should work just fine.

Bottom line if you have the capital to spend then spend it.

hee, hee, hee....gotcha!  This is addicting!

Do you NEED it?   You could probably be perfectly happy in the middle ground with a Titan II.

Why not keep your eye out for a used Graphtec.....that's what I did.

I started out with the LaserPoint...and still use it for quick stuff.

Sue2

gotcha.png

I sorta feel like if I compromise and get something that I'll 'just make do' with then I'll always think I should have dropped the $ and got what I really wanted.

I dunno, I talk myself in and out of this 5-10 times every day!

I have seen very very few unhappy graphtec owners on either forum - coincidence?  I don't think so - I have owned pcut, my, copam, rolands (several) graphtecs (several) and several private branded graphtecs and I still own a graphtec and haven't not had one around since my first one.  now we should be hearing how it is overkill from those that never had one shortly . . . 

• Like 1

I went with the Titan 2 28" Cutter and love the heck out of it , it has never let me down ever.. Very easy to use and setup... Cuts very small up to max size of cutter.. I also use scalps 4pro ( sure cuts a lot) along with illustrator cs6/cc and would never goto another software ever, i have tested the other programs and just doesnt compare to me atleast lol... Just my own opinion..It is one step under a graphtec.  you cant go wrong for the money trust me..  I had the chance to upgrade but didnt and put the money i would have spent into things i needed etc..... here is the list of cutters  http://www.uscutter.com/index/page/static/subpage/buying_guides_new

You can't say you have (tested) other programs  when you havent taken the time to learn how to use them properly.........kind of like saying your car drives better than a Ferrari when you have never actually driven a Ferrari ....Again not being a jerk....Just saying

I have taken the time to learn them actually.I was able to make the same thing in each program like i do in scalps. And in MY own opinion scalps was easier by a long shot for usability and learning and searching for what i needed. and combined with Ai.. I bought vm,dragoncuts,flexi  etc. Lets just say i have money that allowed me to buy and test what i wanted Im not trashing any other program out there,But many people new to this want something easy,simple without having to struggle on getting from point to point b. Just like the cutters, I have my own opinion on that and offered it as well. But im not going to come here and say something negative to what someone else has an opinion on. Im offering advice whether someone likes it or not just because they run a different program or cutter.. Its about everyone offering advice,opinions etc and its up the person its offered to , to make that final choice...^_^

• Like 2

Am I a cheap ba***rd?

Had the Graphtec added to my cart, went to check check out and they want $44.99 to ship, has amazon spoiled me so bad that I have to have free shipping especially when I'm spending $1800?

9 minutes ago, andygeekboy said:

Am I a cheap ba***rd?

Had the Graphtec added to my cart, went to check check out and they want $44.99 to ship, has amazon spoiled me so bad that I have to have free shipping especially when I'm spending $1800?

Yes............................................................................

sue2

12 minutes ago, andygeekboy said:

Am I a cheap ba***rd?

Yep....

On a side note. With very little effort you can get some sales on shirts EASY. Just give a few away to friends and family and they will come see you the next time they are in the market. I sell a LOT of shirts to people in all walks of life and they all have the common need of something to wear on their backs. They are going to go buy one somewhere and usually they would prefer to pay me than walmart. Without a business license you won't be able to get wholesale shirts quite as cheap but go to JiffyShirt and they are reasonable priced with a decent free shipping option at $59 sale I think. (can't recall off the top of my head) 

You can make a few bucks and cover some of your investment or save a few bucks by building gifts for your family.  I spent about $3,600 on my second cutter without even blinking after figuring out you can actually make a buck pretty easy. 

• Like 1

Thanks @Wildgoose,

Great advice as always.

I've taken a slightly different direction in my plans.

I picked up a used Roland Stika (15inch) for $300 and having a blast playing with it.

I know it's really just a hobby machine but I'm having a ton of fun just playing around with it.

It's such a nice feeling to put vinyl in and it just cuts, no static issues, no USB/serial issues, just click cut and away it goes :)

I ran a SC cutter for about 6 years. Made me a bunch of money and got me started. Now I have a Graphtec CE6000-60 and couldnt be happier. I do it for a job though. As a hobby I personally couldnt see it. Not with everything I was able to get my SC to do. Yeah it was loud but it would do just about anything I asked of it.

$2,000 for a hobby?  Lots of hobbies cost more than that!  Horses come to mind, old cars, woodworking, fishing, drinking & chasing women...:o

Cal

• Like 5