Sign in to follow this  
storm2313

Printable Vinyl Quality Control??

I've been doing graphics for about a year now an consistently I find printable vinyls from various manufacturers seem to have issues with smudges, debrit, and blemishes that are invisible, but once printed on is reflected in the graphics making you waste time, and money.

What's the most consistent quality printable vinyl on the market? I require inkjet vinyls for dye.

Thank you for any support provided.

Texas craft is one of the worst for consistency I've found. They have issues with too much adhesive on certain rolls, and blotching that effects your prints when completed. Thank you for the advice though. If anyone is using Texas Craft/ aka Papilio I seriously suggest you review the material closely for inconsistent application of the inkjet primer prior to printing on it.

It's burnt me so many times I had to request a new roll.

I only used them once and had a good experience, their vinyl is effected by the oils from finger prints that is the reason I don't use them. Plus they are about 5x's the price. I buy from another vendor now. 

What's the brand you using currently? I just can't seem to get lucky enough to get a roll that's fully usable. I'm not sure if they just don't have quality control in place, or they feel a certain amount of imperfections is acceptable, but its so costly in the sense of time. I currently am recording the blemishes I find using a digital microscope to discuss with the manufacturer for their take on making things right.

I usually get a free roll, but it doesn't cover the ink, and time to find out your print isn't usable till after the fact.

I currently am going through about 4-5ft of blem vinyl per 60ft roll. I wonder if that's the industry standard as being acceptable?

24 minutes ago, storm2313 said:

What's the brand you using currently? I just can't seem to get lucky enough to get a roll that's fully usable. I'm not sure if they just don't have quality control in place, or they feel a certain amount of imperfections is acceptable, but its so costly in the sense of time. I currently am recording the blemishes I find using a digital microscope to discuss with the manufacturer for their take on making things right.

I usually get a free roll, but it doesn't cover the ink, and time to find out your print isn't usable till after the fact.

I currently am going through about 4-5ft of blem vinyl per 60ft roll. I wonder if that's the industry standard as being acceptable?

Not sure who you have tried I sent you a PM - not all printable sign media is vinyl.

dye ink isn't made to use outdoor - pigment is the way to go if you must for personal use - for selling graphics for outdoor use consider using latex or solvent printable that are made to be weatherproof and don't have the layer added to accept water based ink - that is what normally fails in these products .

note addes there is also the thermo resin printers like the getber edge and I believe summa for outdoor use

Dye vs. Pigment

Printer manufacturers like to say that dye-based ink give smoother, more vivid colours, while pigment-based inks are more fade-resistant. They also like to tell you - well, tell us journos, mainly - that it's very important to use the right paper with these different ink types. The argument goes like this.

Dyes use very small particles of colourant, dissolved in liquid. They are easy for ultraviolet rays to damage, one of the main mechanisms of light fading in prints. To protect the dyes, it's important they can soak into the surface of the paper. With pigments, which use far larger particles of colourant held in suspension, ultraviolet rays cause much less degradation and it's better if the pigments sit on the surface of the paper, without soaking in.

Read more at http://www.trustedreviews.com/opinions/the-inkjet-investigation-part-3_Page-4#WotVAO3uh5WUqECq.99