Sign in to follow this  
castironrobbie

Greenstar Gold

Hey everyone, needing to order a new roll of gold today. I don't sell enough gold to warrant buying a roll from my local guy as greenstar is half the price. Sure it's hard to weed, but whatever. I need to order today so I have a question. Is this gold a semi metallic?

It has specs in it, actually the GS gold & silver are easier to weed then the other GS colors, it's almost like they are from different suppliers. I don't know that for sure.

• Like 1

@busterbay thanks! Not sure why they are so hard to weed. The white is difficult, the black more difficult. I ran out of my other stuff yesterday and did all my white on greenstar, and it wasn't terrible, but not as smooth as the other brand I use. One positive though, I can use just the regular old transfer tape because of the blue backing. 

They are thicker and not as soft as other vinyls, that is why it is harder to weed. Once you get past that and put them on a flat surface it works well. I don't use GS any more for the reasons you mentioned. And you should always use paper transfer tape, it allows for wet installs clear doesn't work well with wet installs.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, busterbay said:

They are thicker and not as soft as other vinyls, that is why it is harder to weed. Once you get past that and put them on a flat surface it works well. I don't use GS any more for the reasons you mentioned. And you should always use paper transfer tape, it allows for wet installs clear doesn't work well with wet installs.

I hear ya. Most of my customers order small decals. I am online only at the moment. Not sure how to branch into local stuff honestly. I don't even like working with clear, but my other vinyl has a very very dim backing, like an off white, so the average consumer isn't very thrilled when I send them white with the paper tape.

Also maybe a rookie question, I have never used matte vinyl. Is it a bit easier to weed because to me it would seem like it may be softer? I know that would vary based on brand of course. About to place an order and wanted to get your input

My experience with GS and other Mattes is yes they are easier to weed, I suspect it has something to do with the dimpled surface of the matte.

• Like 1

I think you might want to check your settings on your machine...Blade depth...Something sounds off....I keep greenstar in stock for a cheap option for people and I also use it myself for sandblasting stencils.....Have never had any trouble with weeding any of it on multiple machines....

• Like 2

On 9/8/2016 at 7:04 AM, castironrobbie said:

I need to order today so I have a question. Is this gold a semi metallic?

No, it is not metallic, if you want metallic gold you would need to purchase Oracal 751, which you can purchase by the foot if you don't want to purchase an entire roll.

http://www.uscutter.com/ORACAL-751-Conformable-Vinyl-24-By-The-Foot-Continuous

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Macon Innovations said:

I think you might want to check your settings on your machine...Blade depth...Something sounds off....I keep greenstar in stock for a cheap option for people and I also use it myself for sandblasting stencils.....Have never had any trouble with weeding any of it on multiple machines....

Great advice. I typically use tape technologies and cut using 160 for pressure, set to 180 for the green star and it's a huge improvement. Working on some white right now and it's not pulling up from the back much. Not bad I kind of like it.

@mb20music thank you. I don't really need metallic, was just curious of the finish prior to purchase. 

So, I tried it and like it. Not that this is a review section, but I like this vinyl. With the correct pressure it works just as good as any other brand I have tried