Machine_Punk

New From Napa Valley, California

Good afternoon.  I have a small, artistic metalworking studio, called The Aerodrome Studio.  My passion is for building furniture and other projects with the same techniques used to build aeroplanes--solid rivets and aluminum sheet.  While it probably doesn't sound to you like I am in the right place, I've been thinking more and more about getting into vinyl cutting and I am still in the process of deciding which machine is going to be best for my needs.  I'll do a lot of lettering and designs to decorate metal projects, but I think I'll end up using vinyl a LOT as a painting mask.

I'm a serial autodidact--that is, I am constantly learning new things and I think vinyl cutting is the next new thing for me.  I've looked at all different levels of machines so far, from the CRICUT all the way up.  Trying to figure out that balance between hobby and professional machines which will meet my needs.

Looking forward to learning more. If you want to see more of what I do, take a look at my thread over here:
http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=122188

KDub.

look at the titan 2 series - lowest priced servo machine (more accurate cuts and a real usb chipset unlike the cheesy ones in the value cutters).  if not at least the SC cutter - will probably be more tinkering to get the cuts but will bet it done.  I could totally see where cutting paint mask as a pattern or even for painting/staining where it would be helpful for you

• Like 1

Hello and Welcome.

I read the first few sentences of your post and thought I wonder if he knows about  Aero-1946 over at The Garage Journal.  Then I saw your link and thought you must.  I'm also a member over there.

I've cut a few stencils with Oracal 813 and it works great. 

Don't rule out a good used machine.   I bought a used Summa D-60 back in 2008 and I'm still using it today.

• Like 1

On 9/6/2016 at 6:53 PM, dwp99 said:

Hello and Welcome.

I read the first few sentences of your post and thought I wonder if he knows about  Aero-1946 over at The Garage Journal.  Then I saw your link and thought you must.  I'm also a member over there.

I've cut a few stencils with Oracal 813 and it works great. 

Don't rule out a good used machine.   I bought a used Summa D-60 back in 2008 and I'm still using it today.

Thanks.  I routinely post on Garage Journal.  Aero-1946 are a great couple of guys.  I really like their designs.

Thanks for the tip on the Oracal 813.  I'm looking for something which will stick well enough to give me clean lines, but come off easily after painting.

I've been looking more at used machines too.  Thinking a lot about Graphtec or Roland.  Even if I need to buy the software, I'll probably come out ahead, money-wise.  I don't plan to do vinyl as a business right now...it is just a means to the end in my art.  Of course, I'm sure I'll cut plenty of fun stuff for me and friends.

KDub

On 9/6/2016 at 7:53 AM, Dakotagrafx said:

look at the titan 2 series - lowest priced servo machine (more accurate cuts and a real usb chipset unlike the cheesy ones in the value cutters).  if not at least the SC cutter - will probably be more tinkering to get the cuts but will bet it done.  I could totally see where cutting paint mask as a pattern or even for painting/staining where it would be helpful for you

Thanks.  You've pretty much nailed the 2 options I've been looking at in new machines.  As posted above, I'm expanding my search to used machines, including Graphtec and Roland.  I'm not in a hurry, but I do think this is a direction I definitely want to go with my workshop.

KDub.

On 9/6/2016 at 8:45 AM, slice&dice said:

hi.

Your work reminded me of the image on my computer desktop.

iron.jpg

I used to have that on my desktop too--and really liked it.  I've been fortunate enough to see that building live and it is very impressive up close.

On 9/9/2016 at 1:06 AM, Machine_Punk said:

Thanks.  I routinely post on Garage Journal.  Aero-1946 are a great couple of guys.  I really like their designs.

Thanks for the tip on the Oracal 813.  I'm looking for something which will stick well enough to give me clean lines, but come off easily after painting.

I've been looking more at used machines too.  Thinking a lot about Graphtec or Roland.  Even if I need to buy the software, I'll probably come out ahead, money-wise.  I don't plan to do vinyl as a business right now...it is just a means to the end in my art.  Of course, I'm sure I'll cut plenty of fun stuff for me and friends.

KDub

When I first got the Oracal 813 I didn't think it was going to stick too well.  The pinch rollers seem to loosen the 813 from the backing as they roll over it.  Then I thought that the application tape would pull it off of what you were trying to stick it to but that's not the truth.  the Oracal 813 stuck very well and came of easily after painting. 

Below is a INSP.25 that I made with Oracal 813.  The stencil was placed on automotive paint that was about 3-4 days old.  I used Testors Modelers paint in an air brush.  the lines are crisp with no bleed under and it didn't pull the red paint off.

The second photo shows the Oracal 813 in place over Krylon gray

The third shows after I took the stencil off.  The yellow is also Krylon paint.  I probably should have waited a little longer before i took the stencil off.  The yellow was still a little tacky.

Yahoo this is my 1000 post.

insp02.jpg

Stencil01.jpg

Stencil02.jpg

11 hours ago, dwp99 said:

When I first got the Oracal 813 I didn't think it was going to stick too well.  The pinch rollers seem to loosen the 813 from the backing as they roll over it.  Then I thought that the application tape would pull it off of what you were trying to stick it to but that's not the truth.  the Oracal 813 stuck very well and came of easily after painting. 

Below is a INSP.25 that I made with Oracal 813.  The stencil was placed on automotive paint that was about 3-4 days old.  I used Testors Modelers paint in an air brush.  the lines are crisp with no bleed under and it didn't pull the red paint off.

The second photo shows the Oracal 813 in place over Krylon gray

The third shows after I took the stencil off.  The yellow is also Krylon paint.  I probably should have waited a little longer before i took the stencil off.  The yellow was still a little tacky.

[photos removed for brevity]

Yahoo this is my 1000 post.

Woohoo! I'm honored to have your 1000th post in my thread.

Thanks for the pics and further description of Oracal 813...that is EXACTLY the sort of stuff I want to do with the vinyl cutter.  I appreciate you taking the time to explain.

For everyone's education:  I completely agree with the 'waiting a while to pull off the mask.'  I've been testing this with rattle-can spray paint and it seems best to wait until AFTER the 'dry to touch' times listed on the can, but BEFORE the fully-cured time.  It's really tough to be patient about this but the results are much better.

I definitely recommend waiting until full cure on the base coat of paint (at least 48 hours), before appyling masking tape or stencils for the design coat of paint.

KDub