splash0321

Copyright issues with this?

I have a customer that wants a "built ford tough" decal made for his truck. I told him I cant/wont reproduce the ford logo, nor will I even spell out the word "ford"...I offered to do a "BUILT TOUGH" decal as long as I could ensure it wasn't violating any CR laws. Does anyone have advice on this? A $10,000 fine is too much to risk making a quick $40.

Maybe cut each word separate.  Don't use the "Ford" Font..... Let him install?  Might be a workaround.  I have no idea but I know some folks on here know a lot about copyright.  They will be along shortly.

The owner of the truck could contact Ford Motor Company and request authorization to utilize their slogan (trademark) on his Ford.

Doing a "BUILT TOUGH" decal shouldn't be a problem and you are 100% right on the risk being too much just for a few bucks. I lose a good amount of money because I won't do any copyrighted decals but then again you can't lose what you never had. You can however lose 10k or more and your business so I'd say you are doing the right thing. I know it's tempting.

Yea it is always tempting. Here in my city there is a guy and girl that set up a booth in the local mall and do heat transfers that are all stolen off the computer they have set up. I know for a fact that calls had been made by others to the companies and ball teams about their fraud and nothing has been done about it. It makes you think screw it and what if I do it. However this is my take on it and I have told the rest this. You can do it and get away with it up to a point. Large companies are not going to waste their time legally going after someone that is small time. However once they see you in the big league  they will come knocking and wipe your butt with their lawsuit for back pay.

I tell people / customers all the time, "I can cut almost anything you want.  However copyright materials start at 15k per decal."  haha...  Then I explain to them about the copyright infringement stuff...  Something I have not had much time to look into is, has anyone had any luck getting the "ok" to cut and sell copyrighted materials?  

I purchased a one time use license for some artwork from a famous surf artist for $35 and contracted a local printer to print a decent sized rendition on a piece of vinyl for the client. 

1 minute ago, Wildgoose said:

I purchased a one time use license for some artwork from a famous surf artist for $35 and contracted a local printer to print a decent sized rendition on a piece of vinyl for the client. 

Very cool, wouldn't it be nice if they were all that easy.

• Like 2

I have gotten permission from large companies to use their videos in my classroom (I teach firearms classes) presentations.  But never tried for logos, motos, etc.