Hey guys, just wanted some input on what to charge for a job I have.

Guy wants 5" lettering saying "UNO MAS NO MAS" in basic lettering (to be finalized) for his boat.  Final size will come out 5" X 68" roughly.  I'm gong to be using Oracal 951, and since I have never used 951, I'm not to sure what to charge?  I'll be ordering it by the foot here, so 6 ft works out to $18 in material and I'll charge him the shipping for the custom color.  Thanks guys!

18 hours ago, Primal Decals said:

do you have this spreadsheet? this is what i use.. everyone is going to be different. i know i am big time.

My Roll Vinyl Calculator 4 expanded list.zip

So that is to track your costs I see, do you use something to calculate what you charge?  Really good spreadsheet though, I might have to borrow this, thank you!

You know your hardware cost, double that then add in your time. How long will it take you to make it and what do you consider your time worth?

On September 1, 2016 at 6:47 PM, AmericanWarriorDecals said:

Normally I would charge about 1$ an inch here. Is this fair? Or should I be up charging more?

IMO prices should be determined by your actual costs including labor and whatever profit you want to make be it a percentage or a set amount. I sometimes charge a certain amount such as when doing shirts for a school or church I often just ask for a $1 per shirt over my cost. In the case of cheap $2 shirts this is great mark-up but on $12 shirts it's pretty cheap. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, AmericanWarriorDecals said:

So that is to track your costs I see, do you use something to calculate what you charge?  Really good spreadsheet though, I might have to borrow this, thank you!

I know what the shops charge here and so i really dont have a set formula for making my costs,I am just cheaper with the same or better material..We have 3 big sign shops here and they are not affordable in any way..And thats where i come in..I do very well and never a complaint on my prices or material etc..

• Like 2

It's a good idea to know your competitors pricing. If for no other reason than to see if you have made an error somewhere in your logic. I have never felt the need to beat my competition out just on prices alone. Sometimes I am considerably cheaper than them sometimes we are pretty close and they might even have an edge here and there but overall my clients are loyal because they like the service they get. 

• Like 2

On Saturday, September 03, 2016 at 2:22 PM, Wildgoose said:

It's a good idea to know your competitors pricing. If for no other reason than to see if you have made an error somewhere in your logic. I have never felt the need to beat my competition out just on prices alone. Sometimes I am considerably cheaper than them sometimes we are pretty close and they might even have an edge here and there but overall my clients are loyal because they like the service they get. 

I never compete i give a price that i make money on.... most times i get the job sometimes i dont

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mabscotthandyman said:

I never compete i give a price that i make money on.... most times i get the job sometimes i dont

I agree you can't get overly worried about what someone else is doing the work for but I learned a long time ago in the construction industry that you better know your competition if you want to survive. Sort of like know your enemies.