cloading

HEAT PRESS TEMP HELP. (I HAVE THE RED US CUTTER CLAMSHELL MODEL HP 3802)

Ok so I just started using my red UScutter model hp 3802 with the black knob on the top and I am having trouble with the temperature. I don't know what to set it at? I've tried many different temperatures and timers and nothing seems efficient enough to get the vinyl to stick well on my t shirts. Especially corners. 

So what temperature am I suppose to be setting it at? And for how many seconds?

Each vinyl is a little different between brands and even within brands between types sometimes. Most run between 305 and 330 degrees. I would caution you to double check the temperature on the press. Its common for them to be off even sometimes with high end presses (My $2000 Fusion was 45 degrees hot). My original press was similar to yours but a swing out style. I found a decent infrared temperature gun and shot the platen at various settings until I had figured out what was the correct number. My numbers were way off. At first I though maybe they were Celsius but even that wasn't right. Once I figured out the temp then I had no more issues. When in doubt I always lean toward being a little hot and a little over on pressure just to be safe. 

General rule of thumb for heat press vinyl is to get it so you start to see the pattern of the weave of the fabric in the shirt showing in the vinyl. Some vinyl won't show this, Stretch varieties for example, but regular HTV usually will and some shows it better than others, like silver.  

• Like 2

What is the issue?  Is the vinyl not sticking?  I used to have that same press and never had problems.  I set mine at 290 and did a quick press for about 5 seconds, them removed backing sheet then repressed with teflon sheet for about 12 seconds.

I see your new, so let me ask this just to rule it out.  Are you using "Heat Transfer Vinyl"?  If so, what brand?

Idk it's weird lol when I've used it at 320 it would semi stick but not fully. And now that I've tried it with 330 and above it won't stick at all. And to be honest i don't know, I bought a white and black vinyl roll from world-paper.com just to test it out. Thats what i've been using. 

However I am doing it with out a teflon sheet. Could that be my issue? I didn't think one was necessary.

40 minutes ago, cloading said:

Idk it's weird lol when I've used it at 320 it would semi stick but not fully. And now that I've tried it with 330 and above it won't stick at all. And to be honest i don't know, I bought a white and black vinyl roll from world-paper.com just to test it out. Thats what i've been using. 

However I am doing it with out a teflon sheet. Could that be my issue? I didn't think one was necessary.

don't shoot the messenger when I ask this - as we have had it before - you are pressing a heat transfer vinyl onto the garment correct?

have you checked the temp of the heat press platen (usually with an ir thermometer) ?

if it is the world paper htv then it is cold peel - you don't peel until it has cooled - 

most of us here use siser easy weed (usc sells it) or thermoflex for consistent good results

Yeah cold peel sucks because you have to pull it off after it has cooled all the way down. Siser rocks. Hot peel as soon as you lift the press. Some of the Stahl's is hot or at least warm peel too. I pretty much stick with Siser. Great products and MOST of them are all at 305 degrees which is a little less heat than the norm. 

Cold peel is even MORE a pain when doing multiple layered work. 

Any HTV product you buy will have very specific application instructions either sent with it or available online. It is VITAL to read, understand and follow those or you will end up with some upset customers when their vinyl falls off in the wash. 

• Like 2

I have this press and use Siser stretch and it comes off after the first  wash . How would you tell what the problem is ? I do know the pressure knob feels looser than it did when we got the press a few months ago. when you turn it to the right for more pressure it will start to get tight if you turn it more  it lets loose.  US cutter was no help when I called. They were good but know not so much, I am going to stop buying from them because I can't have 200.00 tied up in junk equipment  

Answered in your other post. When you consider that a high quality press can easily break the $2000 mark you should be able to figure out that you get what you pay for. USCutter sells the whole gamut from the rock bottom of the barrel clear up to the high end. You will not find another budget seller that supports their stuff as good and that I can promise. We see them come here often trying to get some help when the "other guys" won't even talk to them. This is still a user based help forum.  For my story I started out just wanting to dabble and get my toes wet trying things out and bought lower end products the first time around. I DID do a lot of research and chose a cutter and press than were a few steps up from the door buster priced machines and was glad of it later. I used those budget machines for a couple years and they financed the upgrades to high end products. I skipped the middle of the road prices and went to the top when I upgraded but that was a personal choice. I got so much help from the folks on here that we became online friends and I have stuck around ever since to pass it forward to the next guy. You won't find a more supportive (and patient) online community and a company that also in like form backs it products from the cheapest to the most expensive. I can't even tell you how many thousands of dollars I have spent through USCutter and have never once been mistreated. Several times had a shipping issue or some such but they have always dealt fairly with me. 

8 hours ago, bobinlasvegas said:

I have this press and use Siser stretch and it comes off after the first  wash . How would you tell what the problem is ? I do know the pressure knob feels looser than it did when we got the press a few months ago. when you turn it to the right for more pressure it will start to get tight if you turn it more  it lets loose.  US cutter was no help when I called. They were good but know not so much, I am going to stop buying from them because I can't have 200.00 tied up in junk equipment  

sounds like you are trying to set the pressure with the platen down - you adjust it and then put it down otherwise you will never get enough pressure - 

spamming the same question in different area just frustrates those trying to help on the USER forum

9 hours ago, bobinlasvegas said:

if you don't know how to adjust the equipment you will be disappointed in even the most expensive press - what I am reading is frustration - the difference is uscutter has a user forum with lots of actual users with actual knowledge trying to help and lots of past post that can be searched with problems and solutions that thousands of other users have already posted

Lift your handle, increase pressure and then lock down you platen - should take some force to lock down - do NOT adjust with the platen down already