knucklehead

Laptop power

My wife's HP laptop, when you plug the power cord in, sometimes you have to jiggle it around a little bit to get the light to come on around the plug. Would that be more than likely, the power supply socket, or the charger/AC plug, is worn?  Thanks

Most likely the socket on the computer. My wife had the same sort of problem. Took it to a local show and they replaced the jack in the computer. Cost was about $100 I think, although the part was only $5 or $10.

See if there is a coax style piece of copper sticking out. With tweezers you might be able to center/straighten it.

If its the power connector itself that is loose in the laptop, then the laptop needs to be disassembled and the part replaced, if it is possible.

4 minutes ago, signyouup said:

Hp's are notorious for problems with the power socket.

hps on actual power input have been better than the 5 toshibas that we had to replace / repair the power input on every single one.  how they was mounted was paper thin - 

It's probably the port on the laptop and depending on the laptop it could be a simple fix. My laptop has a small addon board that has power, video out and USB ports. The part was $12 online and took around 10 minutes to replace with no soldering required.

Some laptops have a thin center pin in the cable that is used to communicate with the battery controller.