Sign in to follow this  
jleworth

What should I look for before buying a used printer?

Hey guys, 
I was hoping to gather some insight and get some advice on exactly what I should look for before purchasing a used solvent printer. I first got into the sign making industry to create my own custom signage for my food concession business. I started with and still have only a cutter but I have since got into making signage for others as well as myself. Recently, I started working for a company that specializes in vehicle wraps for the concession industry as an installer and have seen the many advantages of having a digital printer. I have decided that I would like to purchase a printer for myself and have searched high and low on Craigslist for a used machine that will fit my budget. A few days ago I found a Roland SC500 54" printer/cutter for sale for under $350 and I have contacted the seller and arranged to meet up tomorrow morning. I wondering if anybody out there could give me some information on what I should look for before buying one of these machines used. What I already know about this printer is that it has sat for a few years and it will probably need new printheads, it has been converted to Eco solvent, it has heaters, in its current state it is capable of cutting, and I know that it is big, old, and slow. I did a Google search for the printheads and (please correct me if I'm wrong) found that it requires (2) DX2 printheads that aren't made anymore but seem to still be available online from a few suppliers. I have found the printheads for as low as $250 so even if they both need to be replaced, I will still be under $1000 total. What concerns me most are the other components that I am, at this point still somewhat unfamiliar with, like the pump(s), dampers, and capping station. Is there a good way to check if these other parts will also need to be replaced without the ability to print a status report? Is there anything else that anyone can think of that I should check out? Let's say that the previous owner used the printer and then, without any cleaning or flushing, let it sit for a few years, what parts would need to be replaced in order to get it up and running again? I've purchased a lot of used equipment and have come across quite a few things that weren't worth what it would cost to repair. From what I have read, even if that is the case with this printer, parting it out on eBay should get me my money back. What do you guys think? Is this a good deal?

I have watched YouTube videos and read dozens of articles trying to answer the questions I've asked and I seem to remember coming across something somewhere that mentioned I should secure the heads or the carriage prior to transporting a printer. If I decide to buy this machine, it will ride in the back of my truck for about 30 miles on smooth road to my shop. Is there anything I need to do as a precautionary measure before transporting it? 

Thanks guys!

first thing is make sure the dx2 print heads you are looking at are made for solvent- the ones that aren't won't last long before the solvent ink eats the manifold and possibly other parts.  if it had sat for even a couple of months you would be replacing all the print heads - the solvent printers don't like to sit unused for even a few days.  other replacement parts that will be a must at this point after sitting is cap tops and dampers for sure, wipers, wiper scraper and probably the ink tubes if it was not flushed.
I would make sure you see it go thru the motions to print and budget about $1500-$2K to get it going - again with sitting that long the pump is probably going to have to be replaced too - the older style pumps are around but make sure you get the right one.
  Most of the used solvents you find for sale either have a problem or need the print heads replaced and the person doesn't have the experience or money to replace them - the reason they put them up for sale.  if looking at any printer make sure you see a NOZZLE test print and it is near perfect - any deflection or missing nozzles will indicate a need to replace the heads as finer detail will not be crisp.  Generally the cheapest you will find a decent used unit that still needs some stuff to bring it up to spec is more in the range of $4500-5000 and most of those need at least one head

the first picture below shows one I would work with - it has a minor deflection in the black where the 2 passes meet - the second one shows a unit I would replace both print heads on that sat for a while according to the person.
the problem with one that doesn't print at all is you don't know if the person tried to replaced the heads themselves and fried a $2K board by not doing it right (usually not removing main power thinking that turning the unit off is enough)  
as far as those machines that claim to clean solvent print heads - I have NEVER seen a print head recovered in any way that would be acceptable to me for my work output and are a waste of time - I personally believe there is no bringing back a head after nozzles are lost to an acceptable level unless you are printing billboards that are far from the observer.
for someone that doesn't print every other day I would look at the latex printers (around $10K I believe) as they are very forgiving about sitting - but they will require a special electric service so plan a little extra for the electrician

IMG_9255.jpg

IMG_4028Large.jpg

I agree with dakotagrax. What I would try to find is a Roland sp540v they are a older machine but I brought my used about 6 years ago and recently sold it in May. It was time for a upgrade. (The boss said so wife). I had it services yearly and it was a workhorse. My point is if you want a machine that you don't want to put a lot of money into it for startup look for someone that want to upgrade. 

"...in its current state it is capable of cutting..."

Even if you don't deal with the prnter function, you've obtained a 54" format cutter for that low low price.

53 minutes ago, slice&dice said:

"...in its current state it is capable of cutting..."

Even if you don't deal with the prnter function, you've obtained a 54" format cutter for that low low price.

And as just a cutter you won't be as happy as with a regular cutter.    That is why I keep my graphtec for cut vinyl.  A printer cutter just doesn't make a great stand alone plotter

The person I bought my second printer from sold it to buy a cutter only as they are easier to use as a cutter.  A plotter only is faster and imho better for cutting vinyl as a primary device.  Now I have to admit I have never set up a printer to just plot but having a 9 ft wide device to cut with that weighs 450 lbs would not be ideal either.