Sign in to follow this  
JPvinyl

What not to use

I have been reading about what to get and look for in a press. My question is, are there any brands to to stay away from? Any features they use to sell a press that are junk and should be ignored? My budget is around $400 and I see tons of units that I could buy. I need to know what are the trusted brands to buy from.

stay away from any brand with a single tube handle - the stronger ones have multiple bars.  look for over the center pressure adjustment like the expensive brands - cheaper ones will have rear pressure adjustment

Ones like this that uscutter has on sale has those attributes and at under $300 for a 16x20 it would be hard to pass up in that price range until you are ready for a hotronix or knight 

http://www.uscutter.com/Large-15-3-4-x-19-5-8-Clamshell-Heat-Press

The reviews for it are terrible.  I am willing to take your advice and certainly understand whatever choice I make is mine to make alone.

I bought this one (actually an earlier version) and used it for about 2.5 years until I upgraded to a Fusion. Still have it in the garage just in case. It's definitley not some top of the line press but it got me by and pressed thousands of cycles with little or no issues. The temp gauge was way the heck off but once I figured that out it did fine. I'm sure like with every budget model you take your chances in the game of Chinese roulette to see if you get a lemon or a decent one. I much prefer the swing out style presses. They keep the upper platen away from you when you are lining things up on the shirt and usually allow for thicker items. If you do hoodies and use a press pillow to keep the pocket from being a problem you'll thank yourself for the swing out straight down pressure. The clams with the center point like Dakota mentioned deal with this ok too. 

http://www.uscutter.com/15-x-15-Digital-Swing-arm-Heat-Press

• Like 1

What about this one from US Cutter? 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/311557878388

I have been researching and fretting over my very first heat press purchase (just for a few t-shirts occasionally - friends and family; no business). 
Attached is an image of my current eBay order - on which I have not pressed "PROCEED TO CHECKOUT" just quite yet...

US Cutter Order.JPG

Only ting I would say is that the cheaper models do NOT have a center point where the pressure is applied (I don't think that one does either) This is mostly an issue with thicker garments like hoodies because as you change the setting to allow thicker stuff the press then squeezes more toward the back than the front. I would call the guys in at the actual USCutter tech line and ask them specifically about that model. It may allow some movement to compensate for that type of thing that is not visible in the pictures. There are other models that are very easy too see the center pressure point. I don't want to talk you out of anything and that is a great price compared to what is usually over $300.

what are some entry level/budget models that would have that center pressure adjustment? (I remember seeing one, but for the life of me, I can't remember where or what)