I took an order for a banner, and the client asked me how soon the work would be ready --- I told him an hour and it's done.

Is promising jobs in such a speedy manner a good thing? Or am I building up unreal expectations that ALL work can be accomplished so fast? And perhaps it diminishes what we do by making it seem so simple and easy?

• Like 2

This is something I learned from project management, it doesn't exactly relate 100% to what you're asking, it's just food for thought really.

That being said I've said to many customers (not sign making related) pick two

Project-Management-Triangle.png

• Like 7

When i do mine i think about how long will it take me with zero errors and then add time for a possible mistake should occur lol,,,I do the same as you, pump out quick as i can . only messed up 2x over the last year.

• Like 1

If I do them that fast I am sure to tell them they happened to catch me at the perfect time so that I can ward off the expectation. 

When designing logo's I have been known to delay return iterations by several hours so they are still under the assumption it takes a long time to do. This keeps them from feeling free to make too many changes and also justifies my fee a little (not that I don't earn it)

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Wildgoose said:

If I do them that fast I am sure to tell them they happened to catch me at the perfect time so that I can ward off the expectation. 

When designing logo's I have been known to delay return iterations by several hours so they are still under the assumption it takes a long time to do. This keeps them from feeling free to make too many changes and also justifies my fee a little (not that I don't earn it)

Very good points..

I am in a bit different business from most of you.....printing.

I have a sideline making signs, t-shirts, banners  etc..

None the less, doing regular orders ( printing or signs ) at a drop dead turn-around

time only teaches your customers to delay to the last minute..........

So, if you have a good customer who really does have an emergency

and you have already promised Mr."Need-It"Now"...what do you do?

Give yourself some wriggle room when promising those "normal" orders. 

PLUS, as stated above, quick = cheap in the minds of your customer.

If it doesn't take much time to do this, ...it can't cost that much! 

Half of business is knowing when to bend and do it at top speed and

when to work it into your everyday schedule.

Case in point. we printed 20,000 flyers over night for a good customer Monday,

They didn't pick up till Wednesday morning.................so, they really didn't

need it THAT badly...will we do it that quickly next time?????????????????????

Sue2

• Like 4

On 8/24/2016 at 3:38 PM, andygeekboy said:

This is something I learned from project management, it doesn't exactly relate 100% to what you're asking, it's just food for thought really.

That being said I've said to many customers (not sign making related) pick two

Project-Management-Triangle.png

I like this a lot! I am going to start using it for my business. Too many people think wally world pricing will sustain a nation or an economy. How untrue that is in reality. If you think I am crazy then take a look around at how many business that live by that standard has left people in America without a job. So I tell people; you can go to someone and buy cheap like you think you are doing, however people like wally world pays low and on top of that instructs their employees how to get on the welfare system as well. So technically you spend more after having to pay higher taxes to compensate for the welfare system to make up the differences they are not willing to pay. They look stunned after I tell them that and they realize they are still paying higher for the items.

• Like 1

Sometimes if I'm feeling it I will knock something out really quick but I tend to make a comment like "You caught me at a good time" or similar so they don't get the wrong idea. 

• Like 1