WildCoyoteMN

Support wasn't any help, maybe the community will be

So here's deal, hopefully someone can assist me.... 

So I have a 50-something" LaserPoint 2 cutter using FlexiSIGN Pro 10.x

About 3 weeks ago I was cutting some decals on some 15" vinyl. During the cut it got near the edge and started, well, we know what happens there. I immediately hit the reset, which of course started moving the carriage to the home position, catching the crumpled vinyl. I stopped it, pulled the bad vinyl out and reset up everything. 

Started the cut again and the carriage moved to position, but did not go up or down. After checking the forums, I did the 9v test and the electromagnet worked, no issues. Support was happy to sell me a new motherboard and ribbon cable. 

That didn't help. They were of course happy to sell me a new carriage. Of course that didn't help. Everything except he power supply was replaced, and it still doesn't work. A "support supervisor" said he would personally help get this figured out. That was 2 weeks ago and I have not heard back since. He claims they are reaching out to the manufacturer for wiring schematics as nothing else seems to resolve the issue. 

I did ground everything, to the wall, stand, and damn near the neighbors house. Volt meter shows no power from motherboard to the carriage along the Z-axis board, but the laser does work without any issues. 

I'm at a loss. Of course US Cutter just wants me to buy new equipment from them. That's not really an option, at least not from them. If I buy another one I'm going to either Graphtec or possibly a Roland. I'd like to get a printer / cutter (I know, I've heard it all), so if I'm replacing the unit I need to find a vendor that has one. 

At this time I can use my MH-721, but that's obviously limited in what it can do (although it does seem to do a better job than the LP2 at cutting). I would like to get this unit working, anyone have any ideas? Is it possible that it's the PSU? What would be the best way to test it? We did find a connection (on the PSU) that appears to be for the fan but nothing plugged into that one. I've asked for a diagram but they claim not to have one. I'll take any suggestions. I'm a support manager for an IT company during the day, and I'm pretty competent with electronics and can use a multimeter and soldering iron, so I'll try anything that makes sense. 

Sorry to hear about your woes. I don't have much in the way of technical info to add but just wanted to make a comment about the wiring diagram. The USCutter team does not build the cutters there. They import them and distribute them as well as offer support (which BTW tends to be better than the competition) even though they don't always keep everyone happy. I don't know what would be involved with finding a wiring diagram but there are several iterations of most of the cutters so finding the CORRECT one could be problematic. That's the obvious benefit of buying a Gaphtec or other name brand cutter which I'm sure you know all about. Good luck and hopefully you get it figured out. 

I'm happy to say that after raising a little hell I worked with a senior tech, and while we both were dumbfounded that a new motherboard, carriage and data cable (which doesn't fit BTW - it'd for a smaller machine), we decided to try a new power supply and it works now. 

Even the fan works that never turned on in the 4 years I've had it. Thanks for the support everyone, glad I wasn't crazy... Well.... 

• Like 3

Thanks for posting up the solution!

Cal