restless-rooster

Oracal 651 and customer issue

Hey everyone

I made a few decals for a customer using black Oracal 651.   Cut fine and everything, but the customer said they were to thin.  Has anyone ran into a customer saying this before?   Not sure how to respond to him.

Thanks

That is a standard thickness- 2.5 mil.

did the design have intricate cuts and thin strips?

1 hour ago, Jburns said:

That is a standard thickness- 2.5 mil.

did the design have intricate cuts and thin strips?

Not at all.   It was basically text with a mountain outline, but the outline was about 1/4 inch wide.  He also wanted it on a white backing, so it was on a 12x8 inch solid white oracal 651, with the transfer tape over it.    Im thinking he pulled the transfer tape off and tried to put it on that way.

On a similar note, what would you charge for a decal like this? I'm still new to pricing.   12x8 inch white background, and the text and mountain was 6x10 in the middle.

Thanks

can you post a jpg of it so we can see the details. ive never had any customers complain about that ,i always let them know about thin lines ,but i always show a preview before i do my final cut that way the customer cant come back on me and say it is wrong..It will be there mistake if they approve the final design..

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Primal Decals said:

can you post a jpg of it so we can see the details. ive never had any customers complain about that ,i always let them know about thin lines ,but i always show a preview before i do my final cut that way the customer cant come back on me and say it is wrong..It will be there mistake if they approve the final design..

Here is the jpg.   I altered it some, but it's on my computer and I'm not at home.   I made the lines in the mountain alot thicker.   I can post pictures of that when I get home.   Also, ignore the big black spot at the bottom, I had to blur out his phone number.

20160820_150827.jpg

I have only had a few idiots complain about the thickness. A couple were trying to peel the vinyl from the transfer tape and the others thought they were getting peel and stick stickers. Neither bothered to read apparently because my descriptions are detailed and my application instructions are written and illustrated. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, KYSIGN said:

I have only had a few idiots complain about the thickness. A couple were trying to peel the vinyl from the transfer tape and the others thought they were getting peel and stick stickers. Neither bothered to read apparently because my descriptions are detailed and my application instructions are written and illustrated. 

I hate that.     Question for you, if you don't have a store, and you sell locally, how do you give the decals to your customer? In a tube, padded envelope or what?    Also, what would you charge for the decal I posted above?     Just trying to get ideas and make sure I'm in the right ballpark.   Thanks!

So funny you say this... I got a complaint once using oracal that the quality of the decal was "ok". As if the average consumer knows. Loved the graphic just not the vinyl.

I switched to using tape technologies 3mil, and won't look back. It weeds so smoothly, and not a complaint yet. ( Fingers crossed)

5 hours ago, castironrobbie said:

So funny you say this... I got a complaint once using oracal that the quality of the decal was "ok". As if the average consumer knows. Loved the graphic just not the vinyl.

I will say this. Oracal 651 is a great product as far as calendared goes but it occasionally has issues trying to get it up off the carrier. There are whole threads on this topic and helpful hints of how best to deal with it etc... so I can see where a self installer might not love 651. Personally I have great luck with it but try to use high tack tape most of the time. Totally off topic to the OP.

A lot of uninformed think thicker means better which we know is wrong but sometimes you have to just go with it.

• Like 1

When I have a customer wants to put the decal on themselves. I all ways get then a print instructions how to put them on step by step that way if they mess up. They didn't follow instructions. 

• Like 1

On 8/31/2016 at 8:27 AM, hhsg said:

When I have a customer wants to put the decal on themselves. I all ways get then a print instructions how to put them on step by step that way if they mess up. They didn't follow instructions. 

I have very specific sizing instructions on my site. I get orders all the time that clearly didn't follow the instructions for ordering. I also get the occasional butchered decal email as installation instructions weren't followed at all which results in a negative review for me. Which makes no sense