Hi All, 

I have the MH-871 due to be delivered in a couple of days.

I run a small (very) dog training business on the side and when I looked at the pricing to get some basic graphics made for my truck I thought "hell, I can do that myself!"

I'm not in any rush or a perfectionist, I like to take my time and learn, I'm 'ok' will illustrator so figured I'd give it a shot.

Andy

Welcome.

If you run into issues, check back here or PM me, I use the MH871 for a retail sign shop.

The software VinylMaster provided is itself a value of sixty bucks. And as a user of Illustrator, you'll find the VM program very nice to work in.

While you're waiting for the delivery truck, download the TRIAL version of VM and check it out.

• Like 1

Welcome from Idaho. 

While the MH is an extreme budget model you will be surprised what you can accomplish with it. There will be headaches but most of them will actually teach you to be a good cutter and should you ever upgrade to a better machine they will help you appreciate the new one. 

If you have any trouble getting a cut-ready file built in AI check out the sticky in the Illustrator section for some basic tips specific to vinyl work or post a question if you can't figure it out. Lots of great helpful people here on the forum. 

• Like 1

Update on my first cut.

Read as much as I could on setting the blade depth and went ahead and set it as per the methods described 'frequently' in this forum.

The cut went great!

I'm thinking it was more luck than judgement, but hey, I'd rather be lucky than good any day :D

There were a couple of erroneous lines cut into the vinyl, after reading everyone else's issues with the 871 it appears quite common when printing via USB, I've gone ahead and ordered a Keyspan by Tripp Lite USA-19HS High-Speed USB Serial Adapter, hope this is the right one!

That's pretty much it, I'm happy with the way I've started out and have resigned myself to blowing through a few rolls of vinyl in the learning process.

Thanks again for everyones advice

On 8/17/2016 at 10:54 AM, andygeekboy said:

Hi All, 

I have the MH-871 due to be delivered in a couple of days.

I run a small (very) dog training business on the side and when I looked at the pricing to get some basic graphics made for my truck I thought "hell, I can do that myself!"

I'm not in any rush or a perfectionist, I like to take my time and learn, I'm 'ok' will illustrator so figured I'd give it a shot.

Andy

Welcome from Pembroke Pines!!

• Like 1