Sign in to follow this  
NukleoN

GS-24 with Illustrator: Registration Mark Issue

Hi there,

Well, I love the Roland GS-24 that I got from US Cutter. Fantastic, pro-quality cutter after so many years of working with a budget cutter.

The trouble is, I am not much of a fan of Roland Cut Studio and have gone back to Illustrator with the Cut Studio plugin extension.

I'm having a problem dialing in the crop marks as placed using the plugin from Illustrator.

Couple questions:

1. Does anyone have settings for a Roland GS-24 for the crop mark (measurements) that work for a letter-sized piece of vinyl? That's 8.5x11". If you have a known-good setting, I could theoretically plug these numbers in and it should work. I want to maximize the space I can use to get as many decals per page as possible.

2. My cutter is reading the crop marks on the bottom left and right, but when it goes to read the top left it gives me a registration mark error and stops. Does this mean that the registration mark is either too high on the paper or too close to the rollers, perhaps? I'm trying to maximize usable area so I'm still trying to work out where the registration marks should go exactly.

Any help is appreciated so I can use Illustrator. The biggest problem with Cut Studio is that it cannot properly read a transparent PNG, meaning that there's gobs of wasted space in the layout between stickers because the borders of the rectangular image will tend to interfere with neighboring images. With a transparent PNG in Illustrator, I can really maximize the area, even with layouts that have a staggered arrangement (not rectilinear).

Thanks!

Well I figured it out. Just had to bring the top left registration mark down a bit. Now it works fine with Illustrator and the Roland Cut Studio plugin. 

• Like 1