Pebbles1488

Making Stencils

1 minute ago, busterbay said:

You may have issues cutting through 10mil with one pass

What mil would you suggest for a single cut?

10 hours ago, deannasdecals said:

I have the Refine MH721 machine, does anyone know what material I can cut on it to make reusable stencils?

I have used clear report covers and copy machine transparencies both work well, just hit them with a bit of removable 3m spray adhesive.

• Like 2

Just now, deannasdecals said:

What mil would you suggest for a single cut?

Plastic and mylar can slip if you "hog" through them, I would suggest a multi cut for anything you are cutting all the way through, easier on you machine & blade and it will yield a better product.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, busterbay said:

Plastic and mylar can slip if you "hog" through them, I would suggest a multi cut for anything you are cutting all the way through, easier on you machine & blade and it will yield a better product.

Is there a way to do a multi cut without just telling it to cut twice and hope it lines up properly?

5 minutes ago, deannasdecals said:

Is there a way to do a multi cut without just telling it to cut twice and hope it lines up properly?

There is no reason it shouldn't line up properly as long as it is not slipping. If it's slipping then you are using too much pressure.

Just now, busterbay said:

There is no reason it shouldn't line up properly as long as it is not slipping. If it's slipping then you are using too much pressure.

Got it, ok, I'll adjust the rollers!  Thank you!

5 hours ago, deannasdecals said:

Got it, ok, I'll adjust the rollers!  Thank you!

I didn't say "rollers" I said pressure as in cutting pressure. Adjusting the rollers is the LAST thing you want to do.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, busterbay said:

I didn't say "rollers" I said pressure as in cutting pressure. Adjusting the rollers is the LAST thing you want to do.

Ohhhhh THANK YOU!  See, I'm learning LOL!

You're going to want to have some sort of backing on whatever you choose to use. Clear app tape will work as a carrier. I have a cricut cutting mat I bought at wallyworld that I sometimes use. It's stiff which can be good in some situations but it's a bit too tacky when new. Gets better after a few uses. 

For stencil material I have been using the backing off some of the clear backed vinyl like Gerber 225 or Oracal frosted glass vinyl. Obviously you have to have some of this on hand to make use of but next time you order some frosted glass save the backing and it works pretty good for stencils. I too concur it's usually better to make a couple passes  rather than trying to hog though in one shot. I start by drawing a small square and test cutting it twice at a given pressure then move over and try again until it gets to the right pressure point. I usually get the to the point that they are mostly still hanging and then just pop them out like a store bought die cut.