Guest Frank

How do I cut outlines?

Guest Frank

I am using VM Cut, but will have VM Letter by tomorrow.  What I'm trying to do it make a 2 color decal with the font one color, and an outline a second color.  I don't want to layer the vinyl, I would like to have the font, and then a second color cut out that is just the outline.  Is there a way to do this?  When I add an outline, and try to make it happen, it just wants to cut a background for the outline, and the font separate.  Any help would be great.  I'm really new to all of this. Thanks all!

Frank

Not sure what it's called in VM but there should be a punch through tool, or difference tool, or something like that to subtract the top shape from the bottom shape leaving you the outline you desire. Be aware though, it is extremely difficult to get an outline like you're wanting to line up perfectly when you install the decal. Layering the decal would be the easier, and pretty standard way of achieving the look.

• Like 1

Side Question, How do you go about upgrading to Letter from cut?  And how much was it?  I would like more options than are offered with Cut.

4 hours ago, tatinc2000 said:

Side Question, How do you go about upgrading to Letter from cut?  And how much was it?  I would like more options than are offered with Cut.

I went to USCutter and bought the upgrade,   It was $125.00

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Macon Innovations said:

Make sure both layers of your font are selected and then select the punch out tool 

I'll give this a try.  Vinylmaster company says it can't be done in the Cut version, only the Ltr and up version.

8 hours ago, bigfrank said:

I'll give this a try.  Vinylmaster company says it can't be done in the Cut version, only the Ltr and up version.

Now that is a possibility......I do not have the cut version to try it....

I couldn't get it to work in the Cut version.  But I have the LTR version now and the outline efftect tool works great!

SANY0006.JPG

SANY0006.JPG

• Like 4

Outline in Cut just creates a solid curve.

Ltr, Pro and Xpt have an interactive Outline effect which means the Outline can be adjusted on the fly and recalculates each time you change the text.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, VinylMaster said:

Outline in Cut just creates a solid curve.

Ltr, Pro and Xpt have an interactive Outline effect which means the Outline can be adjusted on the fly and recalculates each time you change the text.

Yes, and it works very well!

Guest Jamie

I'm new to VinylMaster. I have a logo I'm trying to do for a school, it's not cutting so smoothly. Could anyone help me? I would greatly appreciate any help. 

IMG_3637.JPG

IMG_3638.JPG

That looks like a trace of a bitmap without any clean up. 

Using text will be razor sharp - unless the font has been designed to look like this.

The shape could also be made with the Polyline tool (red pencil icon) on left side. 

• Thanks 1

Guest Jamie

Hello,

ive tried using the polyline tool...(see picture below). Maybe I'm just not doing something correctly? The one that says "candy" I did for a friend, as you can see it cut out just fine? think I need to put a new blade in or would that even be an issue? 

IMG_3670.JPG

IMG_3629.JPG

IMG_3670.JPG

IMG_3629.JPG

IMG_3670.JPG

IMG_3629.JPG

IMG_3670.JPG

IMG_3629.JPG

Have you tried using the pen holder and drawn the B on paper, does it still do the exact same thing?

If that B is perfectly straight lines in the software then there is an issue with the cutter itself as the commands sent to the cutter will be telling the cutter to go from point X to point Y and nothing in between as shown in the photos. 

• Like 1

On 8/6/2016 at 9:56 PM, bigfrank said:

I can not figure out how to get this effect with the outline tool......I can create outlines where I overlay one color onto another but I cant get this type of outline. Are you using the outline module popup or  just outline options in the tool box? I should be able to create and outline like this around any font correct?  

I couldn't get it to work in the Cut version.  But I have the LTR version now and the outline efftect tool works great!

SANY0006.JPG

I don't know how the original poster did it, but I would do it by making two outlines. Make a white outline around the word, then make a second outline of the white in the grey/silver color, then delete the white outline.

4 hours ago, darcshadow said:

I don't know how the original poster did it, but I would do it by making two outlines. Make a white outline around the word, then make a second outline of the white in the grey/silver color, then delete the white outline.

Thats basically how i do it my software but its not VM.But in mine its called shadow is what i use.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.