Sign in to follow this  
vinyl phantom

Random trouble cutting simple square

I have a Redsail plotter 24" and sometimes have trouble cutting a simple square? I can have all kinds of other shapes in the file then when it comes to cutting the box it slashes a diagonal cut to the other side or a letter and goes back to cut the same path over and over. I can never tell when it's going to do it unless I pen out the file on paper first. I'm thinking its a low memory problem! Using Redsail RS720c and Flexi starter Desi.

Check your blade, it kind of sounds like you may have too much exposed. 

If you are cutting the same path over and over, it sounds like you have multiple layers.

I am not familiar with Flexi.  In SCALP I can usually spot the extra layers because the cut lines will be a light gray, but the multiples will be black.

Also, on any new design I always use the pen and ink to draw out the pattern first.

Cal

I used to get weird actions like this all the time with my first cutter, a Sign Warehouse "Vinyl Express R Series II" which uses the Redsail drivers.

Any design more complicated than basic shapes would cause it go wonky and start cutting across itself, or worse yet, dropping the blade and speed-feeding vinyl off the roll with a nice random cut down the length.

When I called to get tech support, I was told that I had a discount "hobby" cutter with limited memory and limited usefulness and I should turn off unnecessary options like "weeding box" and "weeding lines" to reduce the amount of data sent to the cutter.

I got online, did some research and upgraded to a Graphtec in less than a month - never regretted it.

• Like 2