Sign in to follow this  
tooler82

Cleaning Anodized Aluminum Engraving

After engraving on a sheet of Laser-it anodized aluminum, there's smoky film. I've tried various ways to clean it, but most of the time it scratches. Does anybody engrave and have a good solution? I've used tissues, techwipes, paper towels, toilet paper, etc.

I just had a piece engraved.  The guy cleaned it with paper towel and rubbing alcohol.

Cal

I mean I'm using tissue paper and such and it's scratching it. I don't know what to do. I usually run it a few times and use the one that doesn't happen to scratch.

Would it be the same principal as plastic glasses that you never use a paper product to clean as it scratches,fogs then? Always use a soft cloth ?

It may be. What's weird is I can't find a solution anywhere, even though it's the most commonly used product in engraving. I mean trophies and plaques etc. I may see about getting a microfiber cloth somewhere and see if that'll work to clean it after engraving.

• Like 1

Hard to see I guess but here's a picture. They're small, but I don't want any scratches.

Engraving Scratched.jpg

paper scratches scratches soft surfaces - it doesn't scratch glass as it is harder but softer materials it scratches

• Like 1

You need to look into getting a better product.   Anodized aluminum shouldn't been scratching like that if it's done properly.  

• Like 1