MJR08010

Which type of wide-format printer is best for my vinyl supply business?

Hi Everyone,

First time posting here. I've been outsourcing all my vinyl production to a third party vendor here in the U.S. who prints my vinyl for me, but it's come to a point where I need to be doing it myself and reap larger margins. After quite a bit of research on different brands of wide-format printers I've narrowed it down to the following: Roland, HP, Mutoh, and PrismJet (SignWarehouse brand).

I'm not sure which brand you all prefer so I'm looking to get all the advice possible from this forum. In terms of affordability I really like the PrismJet, which is essentially a Mutoh printer but only comes in 24" and 48" wide printers. Since almost all of my vinyl is 12"x12" sheets the 48" PrismJet would only accommodate 3-12"x12" sheets since I lose an inch on both sides while printing. So ideally, I'm leaning towards a 54" printer but the price on those jumps drastically.

I don't hear too much about HP printers like I do Roland and Mutoh. Which do you all prefer? And which would you recommend is best suited for my needs given what you know at a high level?

I am very appreciative of all input you can provide - thanks!

Mike

I have only used the 3 rolands I have owned over the years - the strong point on the roland is 8 years from now you can still get oem parts and keep them going (same with mamika)  - the mutoh is pretty much throw away after a few years - not built as tough and parts get harder to find.  the HP requires special power (new circuit) is the most forgiving when you don't use them for days at a time but again you won't get parts after a short time.  with the solvents plan on printing every few days to keep the heads clear (even though they do turn themselves on and push ink thru the heads several times a day) - if not used they will get very expensive in replacing heads ($700 - $2400 depending on the printer) so make sure you have the amount of business to keep it running fairly consistently.  
My first printer was only used sparingly and I replaced heads a lot - at $700 each and 1/2 day to install and align I wasn't well enough informed.  when I start traveling more  in 4 years  I will have to decide on getting out of the printing or going for the hp and just writing them off every 2-3 years as the solvent at that point won't make sense with being gone for 1-2 months at a time.  heck I have a caretaker watch and print now when I go for 2 weeks

Wow - that is some great advice!

In your opinion, what do you think qualifies as enough printing to keep the heads active? I'm just curious since most businesses shut down for some long weekends or in the event of an emergency. With the cost of these machines I'd had to have to replace the heads. Also, when you say you replaced the heads a lot are you talking about monthly, yearly, etc...? Just so I have a timeframe on what you meant.

Thanks!

if you have print jobs 3+ times  a week and several feet you should be ok - on long weekends the machine will do its self cleanings (all that ink from the self cleanings every day  gets thrown away) - on heads I try to budget one a year to keep my nozzles at 100 percent - I also budget for cap tops, wipers, pads etc as maint cost every year.  as far as head repacement times it depends on you and the use - I have had magenta/yellow heads go 3+ years and black cyan go less than a year - currently with daily printing I I getting longer life out of the heads - they don't like to sit.  on the head replacement many of us do our own but I have read where several people doing it have fried a mainboard when doing the replacements = that is $2500-3500 for that board so there is risk involved.   as far as emergencies - you may get away with a couple of weeks but have seen at least one person with a family emergency that let there sit plugged in and doing its own cleanings for 6 months and that printer would need at least $2K in replacement parts to bring it back to any level at all.   if it is going to sit than go HP latex - pay for the electrical service and plan on replacing it within 3 years and not worry about the heads  - other thing is on the latex you have to have a separate cutter as there is no print cut version.  that is another discussion altogether - I personally, working in a small space, prefer the print cut but large shops like a separate printer and cutter so each machine can be running simultaneously.  I love how the rolands find registration marks after laminating better than other brands I have tried - soooo many things to look at/  I personally drove 4 hrs 1 way to spend part of a day at a shop with one to learn before I purchased and still was only partially informed and learned a lot after buying and spending even more money.

I personally don't have any experience with Roland so my reivew is a little bias:  We purhcased a Mutoh Value Jet 1324, and a Value Cut plotter, as well as Royal Soverign Laminator to match.  For our needs this printed has been great, we are going on three years and the only thing that has needed replaced is the maintenance station, (about $750).  we have had very few issues with this printer.  One of the things we liked so much about it when we first got it, is it's basically plug and play.  Granted there's a learning curve but we were up and printing customers jobs the day we got the printer.  We purchased thru Denco sales and the tech support and sales dept has been fanstastic with any issues that we have come across.  

The only real issue I personally have with this printer is the RIP software.  I haven't used Roland's RIP software but I've heard it's much  better.  Flexi's RIP software doesn't translate effects well from illustrator and sometimes color matching can be a challenge.  We have a found work arounds for our issues and this has really turned this printer into a money maker.  We print everything from small decals to large scale wraps and full color heat transfers for clothing.

FANTASTIC PRINTER.

When I get my embroidery machine paid off I'm probably going to get a Summa DC Thermo printer. I haven't done a whole lot of research at this point since I am a year or two away from worrying about it. The cost per print is higher than the solvent printers but there is less or no maintenance because they print from trays of ribbon. I saw a few posts about possible lacking high resolution abilities so I plan to do some real research later  but you might take it into your consideration. I think you can print on chrome/metallic and clear film with them too. I hope to dial in on hard the hat sticker market. The cutter feature is supposed to be essentially the same as my SummaCut cutter which totally rocks so the print and cut will be dreamy. If I'm doing high volumes I can do the contouring over on my D75 so the printer can keep printing. 

Just my $0.02 from someone who has toyed with the idea of owning a printer and been scared away by the maintenance aspect of solvent/eco-solvent machines. The other big selling point is you aren't supposed to have to laminate. I think I would still frog juice them though. I already have close to 20K into a new embroidery machine so I'm not in a position to do anything or I'd have some more accurate info for you. 

I have own Roland ever since I started in the business. A old pnc 1100 Roland sp540v and just upgraded to Roland vsi 540. They are all around good machines and never had to call a tech for a break down only service.