Sign in to follow this  
ddogusmc

New Guy Phx Az

New to vinyl. Phx Az HOTTTTTTT 110 degrees today. Doing grafics on my 30 ft 5th wheel 3 different base colors and 1 color overlay over some base colors.  [fiberglass surface] One time deal. Hope the vinyl doesn't  melt before I get it applied. Need to find out right vinyl, how to trace existing patterns on 5th wheel, transfer on to vinyl, cut out, by hand I assume. Like I said 1 time deal so I do not want spend a lot of money on equipment for a 1 time usIf I ask dumb ?????  sorry, be easy on the new guy. Let me know the rite section to post these questions, not the intro section. Looking forward to learn some new stuff. Thx in advance  Jerry aka ddogusmc

Welcome from small town Iowa!  You'll probably get a better response to questions in the General Discussion section as more people read it.

For permanent installation on a vehicle, I recommend Oracal 751 as a minimum, 951 would be even better.  I have no experience in hand tracing and hand cutting, so I can't offer you any advice there, but I would suggest getting a cheap roll of vinyl to experiment with until you get your technique down.   You'll also want to look at transfer tapes for removing the vinyl from the backing (liner) and applying to your RV.  A lot of us are partial to the RTape brand tapes, but Greenstar tape should work for you, too.

US Cutter used to sell a fancy knife with a tiny, adjustable blade that would let you set the depth to cut through a single layer and not the layer behind, so you could cut through vinyl and not the backing, but I don't see it on their site any more.  I would look for a knife like that, as you don't want to cut all the way through, or you'll just complicate things.

Good luck and don't be afraid to ask more questions!