I am expanding my vinyl decal business and adding heat transfer as well. I am looking for some software that will help me design more professional looking graphics. I still just use sure cuts a lot for my decals. But I want to step up into something better. Something user friends. I'm not looking for something like photoshop to design from nothing. I would like more tools, art, designs and stuff I can build instead of starting from nothing. Any help would be great. Remember USER FRIENDLY!! Thanks in advance

art you will need to buy in almost all cases - most of us that have tried vinylmaster have found it to be quite capable and much more affordable than flexi pro.  definately a step up from scalp that was designed as cricut software.  the higher the level of vinylmaster the more tools and capability you get, just make sure to purchase the one that supports your particular cutter

Ask in the world at large what design software to use and you will be told Adobe products, Illustrator specifically as we are talking vector graphics.  There is nothing wrong with using Illustrator.  Ask in the sign industry and/or segments of the garment industry about which software to use and you will get a great many recommendations for CorelDraw.

Those are the top two.  Inkscape is a viable free option.

I am not sure what you mean by "design from nothing."  However, design software allows you to start from scratch.  Though they can modify an existing design,  much artwork is made starting with nothing but a blank screen to start from.  Maybe you want premade artwork instead of new design software..  There are commercial vector libraries of artwork that can be modified into a new design.

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=cut+ready+clipart

• Like 1

Good post ^^^^ dc

It's a tough thing to decide because unless you opt for the Inkscape (free but a bit clunky IMO) option then you are faced with spending some money and then some time learning it. The sucky part is the learning part may not even help you that much if you decide to go yet a different route later. I'm an Adobe guy and can't get very comfortable with Corel now that I have hard wired my brain to Adobe Illustrator.  I tend to agree with Dakota on the Vinyl Master option. It is a very capable program and in the upper levels is completely capable. At your level you will not likely be designing from scratch anyway but any program worth it's salt will be able to do that kind of thing but you would have to learn your way around it. Sadly even buying artwork you will probably need to develop some skills because quite a bit of the supposedly cut ready art is not really ready to go. IF you buy from the right person like Sign Torch (forum member and vector artist with a website)you can just plug resize and cut but a lot needs cleaning or welding or something else that will cause you grief and not understanding that facet of cutting will cost you time and vinyl. 

I would try out as many free trials as you can, maybe not all at once. If you find one that seems to make more sense than another go that direction. I suggest Vinyl Master, AI, Corel, not necessarily in that order. There is Flexi too but for the actual design versions it's way over priced in my opinion. 

I'm partial to CorelDraw myself.  I've been using it since v3 - not X3, but actual version 3.0  (yeah, I'm old - I know!).

I have tried numerous times to use Illustrator, but the UI is so different and options are "hidden" compared to what I'm used to, that I inevitably go back to CorelDraw.   If you don't have any experience and are going to learn one from scratch, then Illustrator may be easier to pick up then trying to paradigm shift from another UI.

Which ever package you pick, YouTube can be your friend with regards to free training videos.

• Like 2

I have said for years I think flexi licenses the design portion from corel - it is too similar to not be.   like everyone says it is about how much do you want to pay for what functions - 

Let me rephrase. I have been doing vinyl decals and signs for a couple years. I can do art work. I'm just not the most talented expieriance designer like some of you may be. I can weld, touch up line work, and do basic style designs. I just wanna step my game up now that I'm further investing and venturing out into the heat transfer world. 

Okay so I have been watching a BUNCH of vinylmaster youtube videos. I am pretty much sold. I love some of the tools they offer. 

NOW which version will give me the most tools without Unneeded features??

My operation is ONLY cut, plotted vinyl. I would like any feature that can help me but don't want to spend extra money for features that do me no good. 

Thanks in advance guys. You have been a big help. 

I use pretty much all the tools in any software I have, only you know what tools you will use.

I'm still learning VinylMaster myself, so I can't give you an accurate answer, but hopefully the links @skarekrow provided will...