Sign in to follow this  
NukleoN

Roland GS-24: Contour-Cutting Chrome Vinyl (Issue)

Hi there,

Well, the Roland works great with regular vinyl and contour-cutting printed vinyl. No worries.

The issue I am having (and I predicted as much) is that when I am contour-cutting a highly-reflective chrome vinyl, the cuts are offset consistently down and to the left about 3mm. 

It's reading my registration marks (using 3) but it cuts in the wrong spot—though consistently. 

Any ideas how to fix this? I really need to be able to contour-cut chrome vinyl since it's a regular thing for one of my clients. 

Another alternative I thought of is to get a working sheet of oblong shapes that cut in a known location, and then change the text for each (I'm cutting badges for cars, where the text is always custom). 

Any ideas are welcome. Thanks! 

--UPDATE--

In the meantime, I've just given the cut shapes an offset and I got a page of perfect cuts....but it's a kludge. I would love a real fix if anyone has any good ideas. 

Dan, I have never done it but have read of others using a matte clear tape over the marks - I believe the reflective surgace causes the problem - I do reflective on the Roland solvent and don't have a problem but have read where others have on that too

So it contour cuts regular vinyl in the correct place? 

Howdy Wildgoose: Yep, regular white vinyl contour-cuts just fine, even with laminate. 

Dan, I have never done it but have read of others using a matte clear tape over the marks - I believe the reflective surgace causes the problem - I do reflective on the Roland solvent and don't have a problem but have read where others have on that too

Yeah I was wondering about something like this...good lead though. I'll look into it...or maybe someone can elaborate in this thread. ;) This chrome vinyl I use is mirror-like reflective, so I can see why it might be giving the laser fits. I thought it might work because the ink itself is matte compared to the surrounding vinyl. I could try some matte app-tape maybe and see what happens.