jskwarek

Windows 10 support for LaserPoint II

I recently switched from a Mac to a PC with Windows 10. Is the LaserPoint II supported on Windows 10?

When I plug the USB cable into the machine, it recognizes the printer then immediately drops it, again. It goes through this process over and over again. It never stays long enough for me to troubleshoot the issue.

TIA, JS

it is not a printer - it is a plotter - go here and download the drivers  - you will need the driver for the usb chipset (it is part of the download) there to get you going - so far I have had all of the windows 7 drivers work for all of my hardware in windows 10

https://support.uscutter.com/hc/en-us

I did load the drivers before plugging it in. I guess the reason that I called it a "printer" and not a plotter was because I am in the devices and printers option of Windows 10. I see it show up as a device but before anything is applied I get the USB disconnect sound and it disappears, again. Then gets stuck in that loop.

I'll try stripping the USB Chipset driver and then reinstall and see if that resolves things. Maybe the old chipset driver is corrupt.

Thanks, Dakotagrafx,

Jason

Just keep in mind that as Microsoft moves ahead with advanced Operating Systems into the future, these LEGACY drivers for plotters will become more and more outdated and might at some point actually not work at all.

Think of it this way ---- plotter drivers are based on the Hewlett-Packard Graphic Language developed in the late-1950's/early 1960's. The underlying code has not changed since.

Well, got home. Completely stripped the driver and then downloaded from the USCutter website. At least now the computer is seeing the plotter. However, when I send a cut job, it gets maybe 25% through (small job) and then pauses. This happens at random spots. I tried to send the cut job three different times and all three times it hung in different spots. I opened a ticket with USCutter this morning but have not heard back. Does this sound like the typical USB issue and I need to look into a Keyspan adapter?

For what it's worth, I'm using the top of the line MS Surface Book so I don't think it's a resource issue. I have to get some jobs cut so I've booted back up the Mac and it's running like normal, no pauses and cuts without issue.

JS

I've figured out how to cut, just can't figure out why it's doing what it's doing. I tried a shorter USB cable, 6' direct into the USB port of the SurfaceBook and all worked as intended. Made a full cut. I then plugged the long, 16' cable into the docking station and cut just fine, again. It's like the SurfaceBook doesn't like the long USB cable plugged directly into any of the ports. Very peculiar but I'll keep putzing to see what else I can figure out.

Jason

I'm not en expert in any way shape or form but I think once you go out much over the 6ft length you start getting near the threshold of the effectiveness for certain applications. I would imagine that some devices/computers put out more juice to send a signal than others as well. 

The USB port of a Surface dies not have the power to run a plotter on its own over 6'. I'm shocked it's working well even with a 6' cable.

In practice, the USB specification limits the length of a cable between full speed devices to 5 meters (a little under 16 feet 5 inches). For a low speed device the limit is 3 meters (9 feet 10 inches).  

If 6' is working, I'd stick with that unless you buy a nice active cable, but only if you absolutely need more than 6. Also make sure your unit is grounded, like full grounded. That would be frame, stand, rollers and vinyl all grounded to a wall plate screw. Google it if you're not sure. 

My Laser Point II isn't working with my Surface.  windows 10.  I can see above this might be the solution but I am not sure how to do what its saying:

Completely stripped the driver and then downloaded from the USCutter website. At least now the computer is seeing the plotter.

can you send a link to the modified driver?

How long is your cable? I wasn’t successful able to run even an active cable over 10’ even fully grounded. Anything over 12’ was intermittent at best.