Sign in to follow this  
Trampsinger

Just got a new MH871-MK2 and it won't communicate with Windows 8.1

Really can't find much info for 8.1 installation. All the info I can gather says there is a COM port issue but I can't manage the ports in device manager like I could in previous versions of Windows. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated. It's quite frustrating.  FYI, using USB. 

Thanks

did you also install the driver for the usb chipset besides the cutter - it won't communicate thru the usb if you don't

Ok so I bought a USB to serial adapter and I STILL can't get it to work.  Where do you see any instructions on that link? I've got it put together and powered on but nowhere does it cover the installation of drivers. I see a link but its dead. 

I bit the bullet and went for the serial. I manually installed the printer using serial port on com4  because windows automatically assigned the USB/Serial adapter as COM 4.  

What am I missing here?

Ok so I bought a USB to serial adapter and I STILL can't get it to work.  Where do you see any instructions on that link? I've got it put together and powered on but nowhere does it cover the installation of drivers. I see a link but its dead. 

I bit the bullet and went for the serial. I manually installed the printer using serial port on com4  because windows automatically assigned the USB/Serial adapter as COM 4.  

What am I missing here?

first thing you are missing is it is a plotter and not a printer - it will not install like or as a printer.  I personally went to the links and downloaded the instructions and they worked for me - now as for the adapter - the preferred and one that is known to work properly is the tripplite keyspan adapter - and must be used with the null modem serial cable that was included with the plotter.  once you have that you match the comm port in the program to match the one the computer sees =  Now if you bought a generic usb to serial adapter about 80 percent of the people we see on the forum don't get them to work as the chipset in those are as bad as the ones in the plotters from the factory (it actually communicates thru serial but has a flaky internal chipset connected to the usb port on the plotter.

if you are still unable to get it going I would suggest contacting uscutter support during their business hours of 8-4 pst to walk you thru the process - 

• Like 1

OK the "Plotter" comment was really helpful.  Turns out the issue is that I wasn't setting up the cutter in the software. I was stuck in traditional printer theory but I got it working. Thanks for the help all. 

• Like 3

a lot of newbies get caught in that same train of thought - and then they run into learning the difference in vector graphics that plotters use as opposed to raster graphics they use with their photos - but in the end we get thru it

a lot of newbies get caught in that same train of thought - and then they run into learning the difference in vector graphics that plotters use as opposed to raster graphics they use with their photos - but in the end we get thru it

After many drinks and ripping out hair we get it lol.