AmericanWarriorDecals

Application tape and decal trimming tips

So this is a really basic and probably dumb question, but I tried searching a few different terms and couldn't get the results I wanted.

First off, my set up is just a small home business set up in my spare bedroom. I have a 5'x2' folding table that I use to trim and apply my tape on my 24"x26" cutting mat. At first my little business was more of a hobby, but now it’s starting to grow.

I have just been cutting an eyed length of AT75 clear tape and applying it by hand to a cut down sheet of my decal runs. I'm mostly effective at placement, but there are times where when I lay it, it ends up not being straight and it may either not fully cover a decal, or get it closer than I would like for when I trim it. Sometimes, it's not placed evenly either and I get folds or large bubbles and have to throw decals away.

Also, when it comes to cutting the decals down to individuals, I have been using a hobby paper cutter that is 12" in length. Now while not all professional equipment, it definitely served me well when I used the Cameo 2. I feel that this is just no longer efficient and it is very time consuming. I know there has to be an easier and more time efficient way.

I'm now realizing that I'm at the point where it’s time to invest in some equipment that will make life easier for me. Just looking for some suggestions, tips, any advice you can offer. Thank you!

One tip that has helped me is to lay the decal down first and apply the transfer tape to that.  It has helped me a lot to switch to this method.

Cal

Edit, this should say lay the transfer tape down sticky side up and lay the decal on top of it!!!

• Like 1

The bigger and longer a table that you can get your hands on the better.  For app tape on long items I use a "Big Squeegee Cut Vinyl Tool" These things take a little learning to get to know but are wonderful. I still do a lot of items up to 24'36" by hand but anything longer or lots of small items at a time I use the BS. The biggest tricks are making sure it's starting out nice and smooth. If you get any warbling or creases they will not go away. I waste a little app tape sometimes trying to get it to run smooth. Once it's running smooth for about 6" then I line up a 24" ruler along one side and use it to align my vinyl carrier with the roll of app tape. If you roll the app tape back very slightly then you can scoot your vinyl up almost to the point where the tape is stuck to the table and then roll the roll back forward and it helps hold the vinyl down while it gets started out onto it. I use the "Push" method where the tape is resting on the vinyl and being pushed along. This seems to keep the vinyl laying down and consistent the best. There are other taping systems that probably work great too (the app roller comes to mind) the biggest advantage of the BS is it's a one person job and keeps the vinyl from lifting into the app tape with static cling. 

When you are taping off an item the regular way try cutting your app tape and laying it sticky side up and placing your vinyl face down INTO it. If you can just let the middle droop and touch and then squeegee from the middle up and down then work out toward the sides and you'll have the best luck. 

For cutting multiple copies apart I end up using a clear craft ruler that has 1/4" lines. You can see what you're doing really nice and get consistent edges and square cuts. I like this also for the fact that if you do a good job trimming then it helps with installs because your paper backing is square to the text and easier to get square to the substrate. I like to leave about 1/2" around the edges if possible. 

• Like 2

I agree with Wildgoose.  Get the biggest table you can comfortably fit in your space.  I built a 4' X 6' table with a kit from a company called "2x4 Basics".  It is rock solid, and a 4' X 6' Rhino Mat cutting mat fits perfectly on top of it.  I also mounted one of these to the end of the table: http://www.uscutter.com/APPRoller-Tape-Application-Roller  It works great, it's like having a second set of hands.  

I also use a few extra inches beyond the decal that is being taped to correct any creases before actually getting to the decal.  As for trimming decals, I have a 12" "Design Ruler by Tim Holtz" that is the first thing I grab when hand cutting anything.  It's clear plastic with a grid printed on it that really makes lining up things easy.  It also has a metal edge, so your Xacto knife doesn't cut into the ruler.  Longer cuts than 12" either get the 36" or 60" "Big Blue" ruler.

The only problem with having a big table is it will end up looking like this:

post-96596-0-99140600-1466800783_thumb.j

But I promise there is a table under all the other crap...

• Like 2

Wildgoose is right Big Squeegee I have several of them.  But the rest I put together myself.  1. Table 4x8 wood with legs but on top put a 1/2x4x8 sheet of HUMW.  My tape holder  is 3/4 in pipe. If you would like a pic I will sent it to you.  The tape pulls out over the decal you can laid it right on the decals.

Different ones have different edge material. The Cut vinyl tool that seems to be the one most used for masking etc... has thick black felt along each edge. It's nothing fancy but I don't know that I would build one. Probably spend a day rounding up misc and trying to get it right. Now that I own one I may attempt a build someday. There are a few DIY versions out there online. 

I use this app tape roller, like Vitaman as well as my own homemade version for applying tape. I always use the full width (24"), and have gone as long as 60" using both setups with no problems (after the initial "honeymoon" period, that is...).  I wouldn't make a table any wider than you really need (which is just bigger than the widest vinyl you'll be using), but as long as possible is always a great idea. 

Wildgoose, I was using the Mondo trimmer for about a year, but it tore up my cutting mats and replacing them was getting expensive, so I switched to a Fiskar Rotary cutter, and have gotten good at using it for a full 60" cut. WAY less harsh on my mats. =) 

• Like 1

The "Honeymoon period" it totally true! I had some frustration the first few times I tried to tape off with the BS. After learning the knack it has been fine. 

As far as trimming mat. I have one white 4'x 2' and a 25"x 37" green cutting mat. I like the green much better. It really self heals whereas the white claimed to but doesn't.