Sign in to follow this  
crgtfnknr

Considering purchasing a portable vinyl cutter

I currently own a Graphtec CE6000 and I love it. I was considering taking a cutter with me to some of the events I attend in order to provide more custom options. I am not thrilled with packing up this particular piece of equipment so I am thinking about buying a smaller more transportation friendly cutter. I don't need all the bells and whistles, just a nice machine to get the job done. Thoughts?

I picked up a Graphtec Craft robo pro 4-5 years ago for around $500. CE-5000-40.

A very good mobile cutter for the money. Just remember most of these mobile cutters have awful tracking, even when you bring an app-roller.

What Mark S said. Perfect tracking- ive owned four of them - lightest is the GS15 or GS15plus

They take punched vinyl

the dilemma I would have is I wouldn't want to beat my graphec but would have a hard time going back to a lower end cutter - so finding a used 15" would fit best in my situation if I wanted to go on the road

14" MH solid little beast for under $200 - ROI in just a few hours at a show. I use mine for cutting scraps or to cut something small that I screwed up weeding. 

I bought it for taking on the road but we have been too busy. 

14" MH solid little beast for under $200 - ROI in just a few hours at a show. I use mine for cutting scraps or to cut something small that I screwed up weeding. 

I bought it for taking on the road but we have been too busy. 

Keep in mind the MH has a USABLE cutting width of only 10" or so.

I would recommend the 24" LP2 and it even LOOKS cool (eye-catching red end caps).  There's refurbished units on the website for $320. (no stand).

lp2-34.jpg

Has anyone ever used one of the oldies that run on the pegs that the punched vinyl is designed for? I don't even know what cutters those are/were but seems like the tracking would be awesome using the holes. 

Has anyone ever used one of the oldies that run on the pegs that the punched vinyl is designed for? I don't even know what cutters those are/were but seems like the tracking would be awesome using the holes. 

Yep- those are Gerbers- HS15, GS15, GSX plus-- they still make GSX and envision series, and are great for doing printed decals, sanddlast etc.  They are built like TANKS... thats why they are usually so expensive.

but you can pick them up used on ebay-- I am working on one this week (HS15).

Oracal offers about every vinyl for this machine in 15" punched.

the dilemma I would have is I wouldn't want to beat my graphec but would have a hard time going back to a lower end cutter - so finding a used 15" would fit best in my situation if I wanted to go on the road

My thoughts exactly!

So, I found a guy willing to sell a lightly used 15" Graphtec for $400. Good deal? He will provide a test cut prior to the transaction. Anything else I should be looking for?