OWJones

You can never have enough toys

Finally broke down and bought a laser cutter/engraver.  It seemed that everyone wanted really intricate glass engraving and I got tired of picking the little pieces of vinyl off the glass and decided there had to be a better, faster way.

Put a Dollar Tree mirrored glass candle holder in and ZAP - 30 seconds later it had ablated the backing material away and etched the glass underneath.

post-24492-0-44153600-1465792099_thumb.p

Still working on aligning the engraving to the blank, but I think I've got it figured out.  You can see that the top right bit of the last "r" in mirror is missing - it ran into the rubber foot on the back of the mirror and didn't burn completely through...

Just wish all the accompanying documentation was in English, would sure have made the learning part easier...

• Like 3

I went with one of the cheap ones that are popular with hobbyists and tinkerers - http://www.ebay.com/itm/152106266467?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

There are a large number of mods online that improve it's performance, but it works great out of the box - and it works with Corel via a plug-in like the Cutting Master plug-in for my Graphtec, so I don't have to worry about learning new software.  It comes with a (probably pirated) copy of Corel Draw v12, but the plug-in works with versions up through X7, so I didn't have to mess with the old version.

I had to go the hardware store and buy a plumbing adapter because the water cooling pump has a 1/2" outlet and the inlet hose is 1/4" OD, but the part was less than $3, so not a big deal.  

I've got everything working, but I'm still working out the details on how to line things up in software and in the cutter so they come out right - all of the documentation is in Mandarin Chinese, so not real helpful, but there are numerous YouTube videos and a few Facebook groups of people willing to help.

Will this do glasses/mugs also or is it flat surfaces only?

Cal

You can, but this model doesn't specifically support a rotary attachment - there are plenty of upgrade options to replace the controller board and additional features, like support for a rotary attachment, I just haven't got that far yet.

Found this video - apparently you don't need a rotary attachment for small designs on rounded surfaces - 

• Like 1