heinie_21

SCAL won't cut but SignBlazer will. Why?

I'm very very new to this.  like 6 hours of experience here.  But i cannot find the answers i need so i'm hoping one of you may know.

Background:

Just bought a used COPAM 2500

The sticker on my cp2500 which i assume is a serial number says 027551 from Dec 2008. 

Trying to use it with a Mac (10.10.5)

Or with a PC running Windows 7.

I kind of gave up on making the cutter work with the Mac.  I moved on to trying to get it to work with my PC

Cutter powers up and will make test cuts with no USB plug present.  

I tried downloading drivers, drivers, and more drivers.

Downloaded SignCutPro 2 beta, the interface seems ok.  I can import .ai files, got the copam 2500 selected as my cutter. got the correct com selected.  

but can't get the cutter to respond at all when i click "cut." no error codes or anything.  it looks as though it is sending the job to the cutter, but the cutter does not respond at all.

So i decide to try Sign Blazer.  What a terrible, terrible, looking program.  but i at least got the cutter to cut a test file that the program came with.  So the PC is at least recognizing the cutter, we know that.  So i try to import a .ai file to Sign Blazer and the interface of it is just so terrible that I just can't bring myself to use it.  

I begin looking for a better designed program and find SCAL.  It's better than SCP and SB, but still not great.  Since it's the best program i could find so far, and it says its compatible with the Copam family, i try it. Importing .ai files is a breeze. Got the cutter set up as a copam  with the correct com as my default cutter.  Interface is clear enough.  But, you guessed it, i click cut and nothing happens.  I even try the Test Connection button in the Cut Settings dialogue box.  No movement at all from the cutter.  When i click cut it appears to send the job to the cutter, a box pops up that says "Cutting data was sent to the cutting machine" and everything.  But the cutter does nothing.

Anybody have any ideas of what i could do to get SCAL to work between my windows 7 and my CP-2500?   

It will work as I have the 4050 Copam and use it with SCALP with no problems, make sure you have the correct drivers loaded. I am also using windows 7.

Donn

It will work as I have the 4050 Copam and use it with SCALP with no problems, make sure you have the correct drivers loaded. I am also using windows 7.

Donn

thanks for the reply Donn.  I do think i have the correct drivers installed because i was able to get the cutter to cut a file through Sign Blazer.  But i can't get it to cut anything through SCALP.  

I would fall back on SignCut Pro and use the free tech support to see where that leads you. I have not tried SignCut Pro 2 (beta) I use Pro 1 which is pretty much just a cutting utility, meaning you will design in AI then cut from SignCut Pro 1. Either way they have awesome tech support and will get you running. That will hopefully help you diagnose the issues even if you later decide SignCut isn't for you. (I personally love Pro 1 and even use it with my Summa)

The only time that same thing has happened to me is when I hit cut but had the usb disconnected from the computer, I then turned the cutter off, plugged the usb in and then turned the cutter back on and no problems.

Donn