I need a longer serial cable, but which one to buy?

I want to use a serial connection for my MH871 MKII.  I've owned 3-4 of these cutters, and realize that serial is the best connection. I moved my office location and thought it was time to buy a new cutter.  After all, the other one has been in use for about 5 years.  Not bad for a $300 machine.

The 8' cable that came with the machine works fine, that is if I want to sit on top of it while in use.  I have a U shaped desk, and need an 15 foot cable to extend around the desk.  I tried to extend the cable with a serial cable from a previous MH871, but that didn't work.  After much aggravation, I found that the second cable didn't work at all, even when used by itself.

I read in one of the threads that a Null Modem Serial Cable is what I need, so I bought one.  It doesn't work, either. Only the cable that came with the machine works.  

So.....which cable should I purchase?

Scott

Not all RS-232 cables are created equally. Many cheap ones are only 3 wire. That's the minimum needed for communications but won't work for most of the equipment out there. Make sure you get a quality null modem cable with all the wires. (Disclaimer: My head is currently screwed up fighting a tooth infection) I believe you need at least a 5 wire cable that would include the DTS and CTS lines. Wait a sec, what about the DSR line? I think there a total of 7 wires in a complete 9=pin RS-232.  But not that I think about it... I thought there was only one pin unused?

Aww-heck, someone with a clear head can straighten that out :blink::wacko::huh::bear:

Another option that I went with is an RS-232 extension cable. Again you have to make sure it has ALL the wires! If you have a working cable, then it will work with the extension cable...