Slvrfx

Decals on plastic...

I'm wanting to take some of the designs I have to the swap meet this weekend and I bought one of those folding tables. I figured I could use the table as a canvas to display what all I carry. But the decals will not stick to it. I tried cleaning the surface with rubbing alcohol and still nothing. Anything else I can do or should I just get something else to stick the decals to?

You can possibly use a propane hand torch and lightly make a pass over it then use a whole piece of white (or whatever background you choose) to cover the whole thing. This is the instructions they give with those fold out "Signacade" A frame stands. I don't know if the type of plastic is the same but it's possibly similar. 

Maybe try spraying the table top with Plasti-Dip, I have read that decals will stick to Plasti-Dip.

plasti-dip-5.jpg

decals do not adhere well to low energy plastics like the table you mentioned along with many atv, motocross types of plastic - we have a convex vinyl we use to adhere to them - the method mentioned by goose may work in some cases - I have seen it done on some tire covers on jeeps. never tried the plastidip idea either - but laying a thin sheet of rigid plastic from the home store would give you a surface that they would adhere to also

If its a lifetime table, they are pretty bumpy and not receptive to placing a decal on them. I suggest you get one of the whiteboards at Home Depot and have them cut it for you. You can finish the edges with white electrical tape B)

http://www.homedepot.com/p/32-sq-ft-96-in-x-48-in-Hardboard-Thrifty-White-Panel-Board-709106/207127368

Cheap, looks decent. You can't replace decals, but you can throw it out and not cry.

Thanks for all the replys guys! All are great ideas and I'll start going through them I'll let you know what I come up with!

Any of those low energy plastics just need to be flame treated first. We wrapped 500 lifetime tables for our fair clients a few years ago, we used a big weed flame thrower and flame treated the tables then any vinyl we used stuck perfect, they are still stuck today.

• Like 3

2 more great ideas! Thanks!

One more question.... When I bought my us cutter machine, it came as a kit and came with 12 rolls of Greenstar vinyl, I've been using it and don't have too many problems except for more detailed designs with the weeding. When I come close to running out of a certain color, I'm going to buy Oracle. What's the difference between, 631, 651, 751, 951 ect... Lol I did a little reading and I understand that the 631 is matte and is for indoor only and the 651 is gloss and can be used outdoors but what about the others. Also being that the 631 is indoor, is it good for a wall decal that can also be removed without taking paint with it?

631: Indoor, doesn't take good paint with it.

651: Outdoor, medium lifespan. Doesn't conform well to rivets etc.

751: Outdoor, long lifespan. Conforms well to curves and rivets.

951: Outdoor, very long lifespan. Also conforms well to curves and rivets.

All of the outdoor vinyls can also be used indoors almost indefinitely. Look up Calendared (651) and Cast (751 & 951)Vinyl.

Good luck.

Ok so if I'm just wanting to replace the Greenstar with oracle, 651 should be good? Unless I'm making wall decals ill go with the 631.

651 is basically a better version of the Greenstar. Yep.

You can also use 651 on walls, but you will probably tear the paint or drywall coming off.