ddgraphix

Oracal 651 Matte White Issue

Hello, first of all I use a Titan 2 cutter. When I cut the Oracal matte white it seems like after I weed it out and tape it up it doesn't want to come off the backing very easily. I am not sure if I am cutting it with too much force? Someone told me that it could be old vinyl? Also someone said because its outdoor vinyl its really tough? I am wondering what force I should be using? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks so much.

First you have to set your blade correctly,  That determines your force.  Follow below.   Secondly,  You remove the backing AWAY from the decal. not lift the decal from the backing.  BIG difference. If you lift the decal from the backing, you can lift the backing right up with it, Then it will be stuck to your decal. .  Squeegee transfer tape real good. lay decal face down on transfer tape and peel the backing away.  I use Oracal 651 matte vinyl and never have a problem. I do the same with General Formulations matte vinyl also.    I use Main medium tack paper tape only. 

To start with, you should set your blade depth correctly, by taking the blade holder out of the machine, and firmly cut across a piece of scrap vinyl, you will be cutting. You should only be cutting the vinyl and barely a mark on wax paper backing, Adjust blade to get there, Then put the blade holder back in machine, and use the force of the machine to get there, same results, only cutting the vinyl and barely a mark in wax paper backing.

• Like 2

i use that vinyl all the time. make sure your depth is correct. all machines are different due to how someone sets blade depth by using  MZ skeeters setup method , but i have my depth set at 30-33 . and its weeds perfect .When i go to install i always re-squeegee the design before i remove the trans tape. Thats another thing make sure you use correct tape as well... For me i use the greenstar medium tack for 651,751 631 and never an issue. if the design sits for a few days it will curl up on the edges but for me i just take a scrap piece of trans tape and wrap the edge to hold it down...

Of course MZ Skeeter posts as im saving mine  lol... ;D

• Like 1

If you cut too deep, it makes removal harder on some materials. Seems like it should be just the opposite, but no. Good advice above. 

If you cut too deep, it makes removal harder on some materials. Seems like it should be just the opposite, but no. Good advice above. 

Good point. If you cut too deep it will actually lift up a layer backing paper as well and then you will have more problems ..

Mat vinyl is also tricky to get up off the carrier. They recommend HT55 tape for mat finished vinyl. I also grabbed a roll of Maintop TransferRite Ultra 592U which is ultra high tack and it works pretty good on mat and other hard to transfer stuff. Just be careful because it grabs so hard it will remove your vinyl back off the intended install. 

• Like 1