Sign in to follow this  
dave1510

Can you do this with vinylmaster pro?

Already answered in a previous post. but as mentioned:

Use Punch Out... place a rectangle over the required area select both objects and from the Objects (menu) > Shaping > Punch Out.

In an OEM program we have an Automatic Stencil tool that does this for cutting card i.e. so it does not all fall apart when cutting - we're considering putting this in V5 if there is any interest in doing so. 

Already answered in a previous post. but as mentioned:

Use Punch Out... place a rectangle over the required area select both objects and from the Objects (menu) > Shaping > Punch Out.

In an OEM program we have an Automatic Stencil tool that does this for cutting card i.e. so it does not all fall apart when cutting - we're considering putting this in V5 if there is any interest in doing so. 

Stencil options are very useful. Not all of the material cut on a plotter is vinyl. 

The problem with punch-out, is that it is not open ended so when you cut you have no bridge to hold the piece in on your stencil.

If you have two circles, one inside the other and you join them together with a rectangle, so that you have two circles with a rectangle on the edges, Now erase the ends of the rectangle and you have a open path to the inside of the inner circle.

It's what they call a bridge in stenciling. This is so that when you cut your stencil you have the inside of say a O hanging on by thin pieces. That way you paint  your stencil and just touch up the bridges and it's no problem. Without the bridges the O would be just an empty circle.

I know that's clear as mud.

I think I need to be able to say remove a section of a circle, so that it's not a close circle, but has a gap in it.

I think I need to be able to say remove a section of a circle, so that it's not a close circle, but has a gap in it.

That's what Punchout will do. Where the rectangle overlaps the letter that section will be removed from the letter.

post-36173-0-94290200-1465312719_thumb.p

• Like 1

Out on a limb here but, are you trying to adjust a created circle as shown in my example?

If so, there are special nodes (handles) for that. (Red Circles)

post-43059-0-14352000-1465315680_thumb.p

Guest Dave1510

How do you connect nodes, or connect one line to another?

For the octagon shape you need to select both shapes and then combine these from the curve (menu) and then punch out.

To join nodes just combine the two curves and drop one node on top of the other (using Node edit mode) and they will automatically join to each other.

Guest janae

is there anyway to cut bridges without having the pro program??

Guest That Crazy Coyote

Hi!  I have Pro and would love to talk to some one with Expert to possibly eliminate using a couple of other programs.  I am VERY interested in creating bridges (and I think you say punch outs?).  Part of my business s creating stencils and have been using SCAL Pro 4.  Did I understand that in an OEM version of Vinylmaster this is available?  I have Vinylmaster Pro OEM and I'm madly watching videos to get up and running.  Could you please tell me where or with what tool I can do this?  I would love to be able to throw on a roll of mylar and get started!  Thanks for ANY help!

You should be fine to do what you are talking with the Pro version. The biggest add ons when going up to Expert are more into the printing side of things I believe. Just need to learn to use the tools. Bridges for stencils will take a couple extra steps. Follow closely along the previous posts in this thread and you should be able to figure it out. In a nutshell you will build the bridge in each letter or object prior to punching it out of a larger background. 

Hi Wildgoose - this is Lynne aka: That Crazy Coyote :)

Thanks for the previous posts - I am able with extra steps to do the punch out for bridges.  

In a previous post to Busterbay, VM said:  In an OEM program we have an Automatic Stencil tool that does this for cutting card i.e. so it does not all fall apart when cutting - we're considering putting this in V5 if there is any interest in doing so.  

I was curious if this is in the current OEM version of Pro that I just purchased.  

Also: I have a Epson P7000 Large Format printer.  I love what I see in Expert for creating a myriad of decals, wall art, etc.  I currently use Photoshop, AI and a couple of other programs to do fine art work and other types of printing.  It sounds like that with the RIP software in Expert and the other elements that it offers, I might be able to eliminate some of the steps that I am using now.  I am still new at some of this and any advice would be appreciated.  I am also curious at the cost for upgrading (I also read something about 'crossover???') since I purchased it only a few days ago. 

Thanks for all the info on this site! It's very helpful.

• Like 1

I gotcha, makes sense and if you do a lot of stencil work I can see where automation would be nice and a serious time saver. 

Guest Lisa

Could anyone tell me if the automatic stencil tool is now available?

Guest Knock-out design

Question if I want to punch out a palm tree from some letters without using th shapes the program have and make a knock-out design how do I do this 

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this