Sign in to follow this  
chaniilove

win 8 sc 24" trouble with serial to usb

my usb port stopped working (not the cord, tried a new one, the port itself is loose and if ihold it just right it'll connect but soon as i let go or move wrong it loses connection). i emailed support about a replacement board since its oos, or repair, but in the meantime i ordered an ftdi serial to usb cable to try cause I have orders due (Ugreen USB to RS232 DB9 Serial Male Converter Adapter Cable with FTDI Chipset Gold Plated Driverless for Win8.1/8, Compatible with 8/7/Vista/XP//2000 ) I plugged it in and even before the machine was on, my computer 'saw' the cable and installed it. turned the machine on and scal 3 pro, and it sees the usb serial on com 5, but if i try to cut it looks like its sending but the progress bar never foes more than a quarter inch and nothing actually happens. i've tried alternate usb ports and the com in scal matches the com in device manager. i also tried forcing it to com 3 and 4 which is what the usb ports used to show when using a usb cable on the same ports of the computer, but no change.

i've rebooted machine and computer and plugged in in varying orders with no change

any suggestions, please?

The only USB to serial adapter guaranteed to work with a vinyl cutter is a Tripplite Keyspan Adapter, use it with the null modem cable that came with your cutter. ,  Or a Belkin. the rest from  Best Buy, Radio Shack etc, will not work with a vinyl cutter.   Example only, find the best price

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Keyspan-by-Tripp-Lite-USA-19HS-High-Speed-USB-Serial-Adapter-PC-TAX-FREE-/262417259235?hash=item3d19499ae3:g:vQEAAOSw9ZdXJ7ll