jade63

Very new to this! Need some advice.

FBH LAYOUT

IMG 1615

Just purchased a MH871 and trying to figure pricing. Ive read a couple of different posts on here about this subject, but seems everyone charges different amounts for the same project. When I was doing sponsor packs for what a race car would look like with certain paint and sponsors schemes I would charge a flat rate. This is new to me! The pictures attached is a job i did for a test run (practice) and will probably charge the gentleman for just material and a little time. I'm thinking around $35-40. I did all the artwork and vector work with this. Weeding was a pain especially around the small text, but I'm new and still learning the tricks. Here is the list

3- 8x11 3 color logo

2- 5x16 3 color

1-3x9 1 color

2- 3x9 2 color

1- 3x9 3 color

2- 2x7 2 color

2- 1.5x4 1 color

7-  muli sized 1 color logos

What are the pros thoughts??? Thanks Jade

I am thinking about purchasing a cutter and I am wondering what kind of cutter was used to create the decals with the green in the logo. Is that a multilayer vinyl decal or was it printed first and then cut out? Sorry if it is a dumb question. I'm a newbie trying to learn before making a purchase. Thanks.

"What are the pros thoughts?"

You created 20 decals, in 3 to 4 different vector designs, in 1, 2, and 3 layers,

cut and weeded them in sizes ranging from A4 down to 6 sq inches... For $35 to $40 ?

I think you are not doing yourself or the profession any favors with those prices.

Nor can you possibly be accounting for Overhead or Taxes and it's likely you'll soon be 'out of business'.

I think you way under priced this... you gave away your time and resources on this one.

A lot of people use an old rule of thumb for pricing small decals of $0.07 per Sq. Inch. That's for single color. 

I agree that this was under valued. But this was my second attempt at doing a layered decal. My first attempt was my own decal for my boat. These are not perfect and wouldn't feel comfortable charging someone for basically a dry/practice run. Which leads me into why I purchased my cutter to begin with. I was quoted over $250 by a local shop to do a couple of decals for my big boat and my fishing boat. I was going to be charged $85 for just the artwork which I would've provided. Heres the fact...Big shops do not want to do Small jobs at a reasonable price.

So the question is "what would you charge for a job of that size"?

I guess I'm A big shop, because to do those decals in cut vinyl I'd be in the $200 range not including design time. Just because it's a small job to you doesn't mean it doesn't take resources that have a value most notably time.

First off we would print them if at all possible, then if we couldn't print we would charge accordingly for cut vinyl. Time is our most expensive resource! Loading/Unloading machines, weeding, masking, trimming all takes time and if you don't properly account for it you might as well close your doors now or keep it a hobby as you will get no where fast.

• Like 1