I have an image I imported and I looking to layer the image with colors to cut. How can I fill in the image with colors?.... Thank you Its just a wire frame image at this point.

post-98308-0-05155400-1464894629_thumb.j

I have these on my T-Shirts. I wanted the same loco to make and I have the out line traced and is just black and white. I wanted to fill in the side panel and the nose of the kart with a color. There is no yellow in/on my design in Vinylemaster LTR.. Hope you can help me. Thank you...

Where there is yellow is white. Im ok with that. I just wanted to add side panel color and the front hood color..

Don't know how vinylmaster works but in Inkscape I'd duplicate the cart then inkscape a box behind it and then use the difference tool, called punch in some software, and subtract the card from the box. then just delete the left over portions of the box that I don't need. There may be a better/easier way, but without seeing the vector file it's hard to say.

I use coreldraw. They have a tab that's called auto fill. You just click it then click on what you want filled. It fills with a light Grey that you can change to any color you want. If you can post the vector someone might fill it for you the you could change the color to what you want.

You could use the curve tools to draw the shapes and place them below the cart (send to back). Would take a minute, perhaps two to do (easiest by far)... or,

If you have it as vectors you could place a square behind the cart and use Punch out to create the hood/door shapes and then using break apart delete all the extra parts as darcshadow explained above. 

Drawing the curves would be by far the easiest.

Im guessing there isnt an easy way to do this. Any other thoughts on a different vrs of software or a different soft ware to be able to do this. Im sure this wont be my last image that I would like to do this with.

I use coreldraw. They have a tab that's called auto fill. You just click it then click on what you want filled. It fills with a light Grey that you can change to any color you want. If you can post the vector someone might fill it for you the you could change the color to what you want.

This is what i was hoping to do was the fill option. I might be interested in switching software. What would u switch too if you were looking...?

In Draw also called smart fill.  Inkscape's paint bucket acts like a smart fill.  In both software, it only works well on closed areas.  For vinyl cutting it fits the bill.  But note that sometimes smart fill does not fill the area exactly, leaving gaps.  More so in Inkscape, though there is a threshold setting that helps.  Often it is not enough to be a bother for cutting vinyl, but for doing other precision things, (web graphics,) it can be a problem. The boolean operations darcshadow mentioned, difference or punch out, will be precise.

What is required by the user here, depends on the construction of the artwork itself. 

Take the hood for example.

1. Is this a solid shape being drawn as a hole? or 
  2. Is it a shape that appears to exist because of the elements that when put together give the observer the illusion of a hood.

If 1. then this is very easy to do, simply work in wireframe (Ctrl+W) and:

• select the whole object
  • break the curves apart (curve menu)
  • select the hood and take a copy of it (+ on the keyboard)
  • move the copy away from the artwork
  • select everything but the copy and combine the curves (curve menu)
  • select the copy change the curve direction (2nd row in Node edit mode) 
  • make it the required color and send to back (1st row of tools)
  • move it to the correct position

Job done... 

Alternatively, extracting the hood shape and using this with punch out or common (depending on your design techniques) will end up with a solid hood shape that you can then fill with whatever color you wish.

If 2. then this requires a different approach because an area that is appears to exist because of a construction of elements around it, means there is no solid shape to fill (law of the Universe). 

In this case and as mentioned above, it would take very little time and effort to draw out the hood and door...

In all cases, and with all software there will always be a series of steps to undertake in this case and a degree of difficulty depending on the construction of the artwork and training/experience of the user.

Guest Kip stockwell

It worked thank you. I will post a pic tomorrow. Option #1....

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.