Sign in to follow this  
KrunkuliticusIII

vinyl sticking to backing and not shirt

i'm using thermoflex blue glitter flake vinyl and got the design cut out, now when i apply the vinly with my heatpress some of the design will stick to the plastic backing, i'm following instructions 345-350degrees for 20 seconds. This is beginning to ruin my project, any ideas?

Guest fivestar

Are you peeling it cold?  I mean are you waiting on it to cool off before you're peeling the mylar backing off?  I never used their glitting but their neon has to be peeled cold.

Guest fivestar

When I use their neon I just waited until it was cool to the touch.  Another thing, are you pre-pressing the shirt to be sure all the moisture is out of the shirt first?

Guest fivestar

I pre-press mine 3 times for 13-15 seconds before I press the vinyl onto them.  I take no chances with moisture.  Doesn't really matter how long it takes you to center it, once you got the moisture out it's not coming back while the shirt is on the press.

Sounds like maybe you got an old batch of vinyl if those suggestions don't help you.  I'd call the place I got it from and see what their suggestions are.

thanks for your tips, still having some issues though. really close to giving up this line of work due to all the kinks. i'm working very hard and it wouldnt be so bad if something didnt fail every time i attempt this hahah my fans wont let me quit though.

btw i'm emailing that company to see what they gotta say too.

anyways yes i got two tees done, it kept doing the same crap so i had to manually peel each letter off the mylar with my weeding tool and low tack tape to keep the curls in check then press. Really it souldnt be this difficult grrrrrrrrrrrrrr, the last one did the same and yes i did take ur advice on the pre press. Tried press it for a shorter time like 17 seconds, no change, 30 seconds no changes. hahah then though well maybe my press is really farenheit not celsis like the tag warned. yea, melted the mylar into the tee. I do have extras but after that one i had to quit for tha night and wont even touch it until friday. Hope i can find that i'm doing something wrong of if its just the vinyl. Thanks Again!

Guest fivestar

Celcius?  Sounds like an ebay press.  Do yourself a favor, go get an infared thermometer and take the temp of your platen after it has reached the temp you have it set on for about 10 minutes.  Take the temps at center and all 4 corners of the top platen.  Sounds like your press may not be distributing heat properly or the thermostat is off.

i think i might have it, i was told a cold peel is like letting it sit for 5-10minutes, i really would peel like right after it sat long enough to where it wont burn my had prob like 2-3 minutes or something. so something else to try also. oh yeah 350c is liek 600+ f which explains why the myalr melted into the tee, forgot to say that in the last post. By that my press temp is more than likely accurate but still wondeing about the distribution ok enough posts, i grounded myself until friday so i'll post again with heaven or hell haha

Guest fivestar

lol......BTW, thanks for the tip on letting it sit that long, I am getting ready to do about 50 shirts that will have neon pink and silver glitter on them, I will be using multicut from jotopaper.com as I really like their vinyl.