Sign in to follow this  
decalsdirect954

How much do you charge for rush orders?

Someone wants me to have their store front lettering done in 2 days, how much extra should I charge? I initially told him I would take 1 week just to be on the safe side.

There are too many unknown variables. How much coverage? How many different color layers. Essentially how much time do you anticipate in the work itself? Are you having to expedite shipping or anything on the materials end that will need to be covered? Is this a new or existing client? How hungry for the work are you? If you are busy then definitely raise it up a ways. 

I usually just weigh it out and make sure it's worth it to ME at any cost then decide how much it's worth it to me to squeeze it in. If I have nothing better to do anyway then I might not even charge ANY extra assuming I have all the materials or they are locally available. I always try to look ahead and try to judge if these people are likely to lead to more work down the road. If you try to turn your whole years profit on one job it might be your last opportunity to work with them. 

• Like 1

I charge the same as a regular order as long as the materials are in stock and I can work it in. I only charge extra if I need to expedite material.

The problem here is, if you don't charge something for RUSH orders,

you are training your customer to delay things to the last minute.....

EVERY TIME!

Allowing a good customer an occasional  RUSH order is okay

but a new customer should be charged a fee to push your

regular customers ASIDE.

Sue2

• Like 1

Someone wants me to have their store front lettering done in 2 days, ... I initially told him I would take 1 week just to be on the safe side.

We are participating in an industry that has developed SPEED into the lexicon of corporate/franchise names ---

Signs By TOMORROW! FastSigns InstaSign etc etc

I'm even perhaps guilty of placing NO MONETARY PREMIUM at all for immediate delivery of last-second work, and even strive to get it out literally same-day.

I figure the added-value of them spreading the good word is worth something.

I'd say it comes down to two things.

1: If you need the work, AND have the material on hand so that you don't have to pay a premium, then go ahead with the job at normal rates. I would however, let the person know that your normal lead time is longer, and that they were fortunate that you are relatively free (and have the materials on hand). This way they do not expect the same treatment every time.

2: If you are busy, consider an upcharge of some kind. If you need to rush materials, they get to eat that too.

I'm always an honest dealer. I try to treat others like I'd like to be treated.

Case in point....I run a print/copy shop.

Another shop across town just now called to see if we had time

to make up two sets of 100 business cards each for two guys that

just walked into their shop....it's 4:15 pm here!

They want them today!  Do they really think we can drop 

everything and do their job ahead of our regular customers?

These are people you really don't need...they will most likely

not plan any better for future orders either.

Yes, occasionally I will stop and do something quickly for a

customer that has gotten into a fix....but I really am wary

of dealing with people who start out behind.

Sue2