Sign in to follow this  
signmike

Contour cutting with SCAL3 pro

So, I try to set this up, but it doesn't toggle the laser on, so if I turn the laser on manually through the cutter, the movement controls don't work on the software and I have to manually line up the marks via the cutter!

Help!

So, I try to set this up, but it doesn't toggle the laser on, so if I turn the laser on manually through the cutter, the movement controls don't work on the software and I have to manually line up the marks via the cutter!

Help!

What cutter are you using ?

Laserpoint II.

When I 'calibrate' the laser via the SCAL3 pro software, it will move the unit around, but the laser does not come on (nor is there an option to turn it on)....so I have to do it manually on the cutter....but in doing so it prevents me from being able to move the cutter via the software.

Kinda wacky.

I have an SC and a Titan and I have to turn the laser on from the machine. I never noticed an option to turn it on via the software. 

I had the same issues using my MH the cutter would lock up using SCALP via the contour cut. Try upgrading your software and see it that helps.

Seems a little ridiculous I just bought this thing 2 months ago and find I can't even really set up contour cutting via the software provided.

I haven't watched this,  but here is a video for Laser pointer 11 and Scalp 3 contour cutting

If you cannot get it to work correctly contact tech support...So they can walk you thru it.

well, I followed that whole video, and everything was good until I tried to "cut"...and then the damn thing went haywire and shot the paper right out of the cutter, never did "cut" the image.

call support could be something wrong with your cutter.

well, I spent 2hrs on the phone with support. Same thing happened while on the phone with them. Guy even put me on hold for 10 mins to "check something". Ultimately his story was "make sure the artwork is within the mat size and the mat size is the same as the paper size". Sorry, but how the hell does paper size matter compared to mat size, the cutter can't tell what damn size the paper is versus the mat....

Anyway, I go to contour cut an image, with registration marks, within 8.5x11 WITHOUT having to 'add' extra paper to prevent it from getting spit out the rollers, and I STILL have the problem. It feeds the paper back and forth, back and forth, between 6-8", for a solid minute. The carrier doesn't move. It doesn't even attempt to cut.

At my wits end with this thing and the support was utterly useless. So close to throwing it in the trash. This SCAL3pro software is garbage too. Whenever you calibrate the laser, you have to do it manually. Can't do it via the software because it shuts the freakin' laser off, doesn't turn it on! (tech tried that, I had to explain it wasn't possible).

Ultimately we got it to pen-trace around an arrow (really generic, small arrow), but I had to manually fiddle with the offset numbers MYSELF for 2 more hours because the laser calibration just WASN'T WORKING!

I never did like Scalp.  Try a different software like the Vinyl Master demo  if you have a PC or Signcut trial, if you have Mac or PC...

I never did like Scalp.  Try a different software like the Vinyl Master demo  if you have a PC or Signcut trial, if you have Mac or PC...

downloading now. We'll see how it goes. Would hate to have to buy new software because the supplied software is 'insufficient' or just plain dysfunctional :/

Another roadblock. Cannot print from VinylMaster's demo version (to print with registration marks for cutting) :(

Honestly I contour cut with SCALP 3 all the time - even on the unsupported SC and I have never had an issue.

Try a large carrier sheet and see if that fixes your problem, I don't have a Laserpoint but I can't see it being any different than any other cutter.

You could even try reinstalling SCALP (deactivated it first ) or deleting your drivers and then reinstall them maybe something is corrupt. 

If none of that works then I would say the issue is with your machine.

But I'm not understanding how a large carrier sheet would make a difference with a laser guided contour cutting machine. The machine has NO IDEA how big the paper is, so therefore should have no problem cutting it. It's making zero sense.