Sign in to follow this  
jdmarti1

Laser engraved softball

I have the chance to laser engrave a few hundred dozen softballs. The balls and artwork will be provided. I'm unsure what to charge. Any ideas?

Sometimes you have to volunteer to do a few for free to have any idea at all of what to charge.

A few hundred dozen, as in 3,600 softballs?

You are correct, baseballs will follow.

• Like 1

I have a family member who has an engineering shop, with a 400K laser system- ( cant recall the name) but it is very fast and can cut very small details on large projects. Its the size of a small shipping container

PM me if you would like contact information if you want to sub out

Figure out what your time and your machine time are worth.

Figure out what your time and your machine time are worth.

I guess that is basically my question.  I planned to build a jig to do a dozen at a time.  I could do more, but figured since the balls came in a dozen box, would be uniform that way.  I am just trying to get an idea what I should charge.  I really have no idea.  If I was doing a single ball, I obviously would charge more, most likely a premium price of $10.  That however is a single ball.  This is a different story.  Would I be out of line to charge $3 a ball - or should it be less?  I don't want to overcharge - but I don't want to undercharge either.  I really need some help on this.

Here is a link to my family members website- showing the laser systems.  if you are interested in receiving a quote- let me know.

http://nvlasercut.com/

Not owning a laser I have to ask, how is the durability of the laser mechanics? Do you have to replace the tube ever so often, is this a big enough cast to warrant a second one for speed and to cover if one goes down?

Not owning a laser I have to ask, how is the durability of the laser mechanics? Do you have to replace the tube ever so often, is this a big enough cast to warrant a second one for speed and to cover if one goes down?

This is an old Epilog I purchased used, the tube is replaceable - and the customer would be big enough to make me want to replace the parts if it failed, or buy a new laser.  I would say durability is pretty awesome on it, since I purchased it used, and it is several years old.  Of course, for the price - it better be.  

Here are some guys selling the whole ball engraved for a little over $9 in large quantities. 

http://www.lazerdesigns.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=SPSOFTBL

I called those guys - just to figure out what balls they use.  It appears they buy the cheaper leather balls, so spending about $55 a dozen.  That would be charging nearly $5 a ball to engrave it - that seems wild to me.  Of course when you see the price on 1 at 22 a ball, that is some profit.  I think $5 is too high.  Am I wrong to think that?

look at what others are charging for that same surface- gold plating a lambo will make if worth far more than painted to the right people.  I would think there would be a limited market for them to get the work done by and then quality of work comes into play.   if you feel your equipment and time are not worth anything just do them for free and get all the thanks you want - it's your call

look at what others are charging for that same surface- gold plating a lambo will make if worth far more than painted to the right people.  I would think there would be a limited market for them to get the work done by and then quality of work comes into play.   if you feel your equipment and time are not worth anything just do them for free and get all the thanks you want - it's your call

I agree with you there - I may shoot them $4 a ball and see how it flies.  

How long will it take to do a dozen balls? Just curious. 

If you are talking a few, it can be ok to shoot from the cuff. Is it really alright to quote a monstrous job on a guess?

How long will it take to do a dozen balls? Just curious. 

Took me about 5 mins in the laser for one ball - a dozen won't take longer than 15. 

If you are talking a few, it can be ok to shoot from the cuff. Is it really alright to quote a monstrous job on a guess?

Well since there are so few people doing that, or at least showing their pricing, it is pretty much a guess.  I know I can get at least 3 dozen in an hour - and that is being conservative.  I figured $144 an hour isn't bad money.  

• Like 1

Sometimes you gotta just stick your neck out and take a shot at it. My first batch of hats was a 500 hat order. I did them way too cheap. WAY too cheap. I survived and now have a real good idea where I need to be on hat pricing to make it worth doing. Your price doesn't sound way too cheap so assuming they actually have you do them then you are probably fine. One way or the other you will learn something which in itself is pretty valuable info. 

Sometimes you gotta just stick your neck out and take a shot at it. My first batch of hats was a 500 hat order. I did them way too cheap. WAY too cheap. I survived and now have a real good idea where I need to be on hat pricing to make it worth doing. Your price doesn't sound way too cheap so assuming they actually have you do them then you are probably fine. One way or the other you will learn something which in itself is pretty valuable info. 

I agree wholeheartedly.  I did a sample for the guy - he loved it.  He is going to give it to his salesman to show the client.  They want samples of baseballs, footballs, and basketballs too.  Who would of thought.  They had them stickered in vinyl last year, and the client was not pleased.  This being engraved and permanent is what they are wanting.  I am hoping this turns out - this would lead to a lot of business, as they want me to sublimate for them too.  

• Like 1