dave_dj1

air bubbles

OK so I have the basics down. It seems that everything I have made and installed is not on a perfectly flat surface like in all the videos. Should installing the vinyl on a curved surface be the same? Another thing is using the top hinge method, same problem, body panels are curved. I am thinking a side hinge might be the way to go, I know I need a lot more experience and believe me I'm trying...lol

I know some of you have mentioned that using the Oracal 651 for cars/trucks is not the best choice. What are the benefits to using a better/different vinyl?

Some say to try Avery which I will first chance I get to order some.

Thanks

try oracal 751 for body panels or 951 - the cast material will conform to the compound curves, use paper transfer tape.  it will take experience - first time I put side stripes on my old ram I did the first one 3 times to get it right - didn't look like much curve but it was there and first time using 751 was interesting because cast is thinner.  practice and time are your friend 

• Like 2

Cast material is not only thinner, it stretches more which is both a good and bad thing.

Remember to wet apply any time you need perfect registration or are going onto a curved or textured surface.

Do a little reading on proper squeegee technique when you get a chance. I have found that when I get sloppy with the squeegee I see bubbles. Over time you develop small skills you later forget were learned and take for granted. Kind of like how to grip a pencil. You had to learn it at one time but later forget that everyone isn't born knowing how. Squeegee work is the same. Learn what center out means and you want to apply a good amount of force without causing friction (which pulls on the app tape). I try to use hard squeegee's when I can because they slide smoother and reduce drag on the tape. (buy good straight ones, cheap squeegee's are no value) When I side hinge I often work from the middle up and middle down alternating and begin at the hinge and work across. You often have to plan it out like a pool game. What hand will be doing what at what point and how can I get the backing off and then move into install position without a touchback. What am I going to do if I have over-cut and a piece of backing stays on the letter? etc... Like Dakota said, some experience behind your belt and you'll be filling much more confidence. I recently did a pro-bono vinyl job on the doors of a Sushi bar I frequent and distinctly remembered the last time I had tried to install on glass with a lot of spectators was several years back when I was way green at it. Much more fun this time around with everyone watching because I had the confidence and skills to back it up. 

• Like 2